Baking on a budget

Reaction score
So I'm wondering, does anyone have any recipes which are intended to be made for those of us who are on a strict budget, with as little ingredients and cost as possible? What is the cheapest thing which you know how to make, or do you try your best to shell out on the better baking goods?

Reaction score
I find that the basic ingredients for most things are pretty cheap, and once you've bought things like baking powder, baking soda and a large bag of flour, they can last for quite a while.

Other basic ingredients, such as sugar and butter, I tend to have in the house anyway.

I like banana muffins. You need to have bananas that are soft, so it's a great way to make use of them, so that they don't go to waste.

Reaction score
I find that the basic ingredients for most things are pretty cheap, and once you've bought things like baking powder, baking soda and a large bag of flour, they can last for quite a while.

Other basic ingredients, such as sugar and butter, I tend to have in the house anyway.

I like banana muffins. You need to have bananas that are soft, so it's a great way to make use of them, so that they don't go to waste.
I usually have at least some sugar in my house, and I had butter a while ago, but then I found it in our fridge, and it'd be there so long it had actually grown mold.

I didn't even know that was possible with butter!

Reaction score
I usually have at least some sugar in my house, and I had butter a while ago, but then I found it in our fridge, and it'd be there so long it had actually grown mold.

I didn't even know that was possible with butter!

Oh dear - at least it shows that you have a healthy diet, since you don't consume a lot of butter! I've had cheese go moldy before, so I guess it's similar.

Most of the other baking ingredients can be stored for a relatively long time, so you won't have any problems there. If you stock up on the larger packs of things like flour and sugar, they tend to be better value to buy in bulk.

Reaction score
Oh dear - at least it shows that you have a healthy diet, since you don't consume a lot of butter! I've had cheese go moldy before, so I guess it's similar.

Most of the other baking ingredients can be stored for a relatively long time, so you won't have any problems there. If you stock up on the larger packs of things like flour and sugar, they tend to be better value to buy in bulk.
Haha, yeah I don't use much butter these days. Once I stopped buying bread, there wasn't much I would use butter for really, and I'm a bit too poor at the moment to be doing much baking, so that didn't help.

I believe I've got some flour in my cupboards-need to stock up on sugar again though as I use it a lot when I'm cooking rather than baking-but the flour might also need to be thrown out...I forget when I got it.

Ask a Question