Baking Pastry Ahead of Time

Reaction score
Many years ago I remember myself being a devoted enthusiast of Sara Lee products, not only because I like those frozen cakes when I was in a rush and could not bake myself, but also because of a series of pastries dough that were available in frozen cylinders, ready to open and take to the oven.

Since Sara Lee was acquired by other company I stopped seeing those products in the supermarket, but sometimes I wonder there is no reason for making my own pastries, and rather than just refrigerating or freezing the dough, cutting it into portions to use it as I used the commercial dough.

I believe it's worth to try, don't you think? Or what are your thoughts around this idea?

Reaction score
You certainly could. Although I am surprised you are having trouble finding similar products in your grocery stores. All of our grocery stores carry a variety of different brands of frozen pastry doughs.

I guess as long as you are good about getting the dough mixed properly without melting all the chunks of butter, and can get it rolled out and in the freezer in time you should be good to go.

Reaction score
Thanks for your input OhioTom!

I will try the way you are pointing me at, but you also made me wonder if problem to find the frozen pastry is not at the grocery stores end but the wrong section I'm looking at.

As you know, many stores update their layout settings, add new refrigerators or areas that were not in there before, or where unnoticed. In my area most stores are continuously moving everything from one place to another inside, so maybe the pastry is where I have not looked at and never thought to simply ask if available.

Sometimes I'm dumb at the stores.

Reaction score
Usually the frozen dough in stores have preservatives in them and other addictive to keep it "looking fresh".

I would recommend that you just go the homemade option. You will find yourself actually more dough with less out of pocket.

Reaction score
Good point! Besides saving money certainly there is no need of more preservatives that sometimes we already eat from other cooking products we use.

Ask a Question