Baking Substitutions

Reaction score
I've used that site before! It's been helpful for many things because there is a lot I cannot get here in Mazatlan (like Buttermilk).

http://homecooking.about.com/library/weekly/blspicesub.htm is also great for when you're looking for spices and herbs. I have to use that one a lot to because a lot of spices (like sage, nutmeg, etc) cannot be found here. We had to make stuffing using marjoram, one year, before we wised up and started bringing back spices back from Canada and the US.

Reaction score
I've used that site before! It's been helpful for many things because there is a lot I cannot get here in Mazatlan (like Buttermilk).

http://homecooking.about.com/library/weekly/blspicesub.htm is also great for when you're looking for spices and herbs. I have to use that one a lot to because a lot of spices (like sage, nutmeg, etc) cannot be found here. We had to make stuffing using marjoram, one year, before we wised up and started bringing back spices back from Canada and the US.
That is a terrific resource! Thanks for sharing! Spices can be tricky so this certainly will come in handy! Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Bookmarked!

Thank you for this great resource. I really like the fact that it has substitutions for uncommon items (at least to me). I had a recipe that called for Arrowroot. I had never heard of Arrowroot. I didn't want to buy a package of Arrowroot since it was the first time in my 40+ years of cooking.

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, I've always wondered what I can use for subtitions if I'm say out of eggs or something. Very useful;)

Ask a Question