Baking terms and vocabulary words

Reaction score
Since we are in a baking forum can you share to us some baking terms and vocabulary words and tell something about it and at the same time for learning something new. It can be name of baking ingredients, baking utensils, baking procedures and others words related to baking.

I will first give one vocabulary word and the next poster will give a new word coming from the last letter of the word that I gave.

Let us begin..

FLOUR

It is a powder substance in texture that is produced when a certain type of grain like wheat, rice, corn, barley or oats and other grains are pulverized in the milling process. It is one of the major ingredient in most of our baking goods like cakes, breads and pastries. Some of the common flours that we are using in our baking needs are all purpose flour, cake flour, bread flour, unbleached flour, self rising flour, pastry flour, whole wheat flour and rice flour.

Last edited:
Reaction score
From the last letter "R"

RELAXING

This is a type of baking procedure wherein after a dough had been mixed and taken out of the mixer you should place it into a bowl in order to relax to give the dough the time to recover after the mixing process.

Reaction score
egg

chickens lay em and we eat them,fried,baked and boiled ,throw them at cars,people,houses and pets or just what ever :) which makes them a Halloween favorite,unfortunately lol

Reaction score
SIFT

The process of passing a powder through a sieve to get rid of any lumps and incorporate air.

Reaction score
ESSENCE

Often an artificial / synthetic flavouring (for example, Vanilla Essence), as opposed to an Extract which is derived from the natural substance.

Reaction score
Another "E"?????

ARGH!!!!

EMULSIFY
To bind together two liquid ingredients that normally do not combine smoothly (such as water and fat). Slowly add one ingredient to the other while mixing rapidly.

Reaction score
Al dente.

This is a way of cooking pasta, veggies, rice and beans to be felt when you bite them. The meaning is 'to the tooth'. I usually remove my pasta or veggies just before I think they will be ready. Fully ready. I apply this mostly for pasta because nobody like when carbonara becomes flat and loose its shape.

Reaction score
Another "E"?????

ARGH!!!!

EMULSIFY
To bind together two liquid ingredients that normally do not combine smoothly (such as water and fat). Slowly add one ingredient to the other while mixing rapidly.

YEAST

Baker's yeast is the common name for the strains of yeast commonly used as a leavening agent in baking bread and bakery products, where it converts the fermentable sugars present in the dough into carbon dioxide and ethanol.

Not sure what to do about Al Dente. When my English was good I would make it a two in one

Reaction score
Scald
To bring liquids to a temperature just below boiling so that
tiny bubbles form at the edge of the pan or cup to stop enzymatic
activity that retards gluten development. Note: Yeast breads:
Fluid milk should still be scalded, the “skin” skimmed off and then
cooled OR use a “high heat” dry milk for baking yeast breads.

I need to work on that too,with milk,it sticks to the bottom of the pan :)

Reaction score
Dust:
To lightly sprinkle the surface of a food or dough with
sugar, flour or crumbs. Also to sprinkle the surface used for
rolling out or shaping dough.

Reaction score
TEMPER

No, not the thing you lost when something goes wrong ;)

Tempering is a process of heating and cooling chocolate to ensure a uniform crystal structure - this results in a glossy finish with a definite 'snap' when broken.

Reaction score
Ripe test (yeast dough)

After the first “rise” or fermentation, the ripe test is used to
see if dough is ready to be punched—or has
“doubled.” The second ripe test is used to
see if shaped loaf or rolls are ready to bake.

so is it an E or a T ? or a ) ? :)

Reaction score
Thermometer

A thermometer is a device that measures temperature and this instrument is also very useful not only in cooking but in baking too. It is important that you should know what temperature and baking time that you need to have for your baking recipe. To bake better you should use a thermometer but you have to be careful and always check your thermometer because temperature rises quickly and you may not want that your baking will not be finish properly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
NUTS

Large dried seeds called "nuts", which are used in a variety of baking recipes and baking processes.
Example: almonds are roasted and ground up to a fine powder and mixed with honey and almond oil to make a paste called Marzipan, which can be used as a fondant for wrapping around cakes and pastries.

Reaction score
SUGAR

Used to sweeten baked goods :) Also helps lock in moisture, adds colour, and helps create the right texture in the end product.

Ask a Question