Baking with children without causing too much mess!

Reaction score
I've tried to bake with my children several times before and everytime we did, the children would cause such a mess. Does anybody have any tips on how to prevent this? It's such a hassle to clean it up.

Reaction score
I can't really comment, seeing as I tend to make as much mess as a toddler when baking :p..

Maybe you could have a contest; after you've all finished, designate an area to each child and whoever can clean their bit up the fastest / best gets a special treat? Takes a little of the pressure off you to clean everything then.. :)

Other than that, I'm not sure what to suggest.. I'm afraid kids will be kids and when it comes to baking, there will always be sone degree of mess to clean up. Just hope that the fun of the baking is enough to get you through the cleaning up afterwards! :)

Reaction score
I do not think it is really possible not to make a big mess when you bake with children especially if what you are making is from scratch. I would say if you do not want to make such a mess when you want to bake with children maybe make something store bought like Pillsbury cookies that you just put on a cookie sheet and pop in the oven.

Reaction score
Well, depending on how old they are.. As you know, children's hand - eye coordination skills are still developing. Even something that seems straight forward to us may seem like the world's biggest obstacle course for them. The only advice I could offer is put something down. If it's the floor, maybe a big towel/blanket. If it's the table, a big plastic covering. Though if you want to be more specific, it would be easier to suggest something.

Reaction score
I try and split the jobs between the eldest and the youngest to make the job less messy. So for instance the youngest will break the eggs into the bowl but the eldest will stir the flour in. Sadly, mess will be made by them but that is the fun part. I always teach the kids, clean as you go, so once they have used a spoon, bowl etc, then they have to wash it up. They always wipe down the surfaces and mop anything that they may have spilt as well. It;s good practise for them :)

Reaction score
I could never prevent the mess. Looking back, those were the best days I had with them. I would give anything to see their little hands make messes.

Reaction score
Oh the mess is the best part for us lol. I've always let them have as much fun with it as possible, and that usually means big mess. They also learned that means they help clean up after lol.

Reaction score
For whatever reason, even though I taught them all to clean up, i have 3 neat freaks, and 2 that just go with the flow.

Their love for cooking continues. Oh Gosh, and they are still messy, difference is, now they have their own kitchen..

Reaction score
For whatever reason, even though I taught them all to clean up, i have 3 neat freaks, and 2 that just go with the flow.

Their love for cooking continues. Oh Gosh, and they are still messy, difference is, now they have their own kitchen..

LOL I can relate. Doesn't matter how hard I try, my kitchen is a war zone when I'm through. My kids are cleaner than I am! LOL.

Reaction score
LOL I can relate. Doesn't matter how hard I try, my kitchen is a war zone when I'm through. My kids are cleaner than I am! LOL.

LOL. I was just downstairs, cleaning up the kitchen so they could continue to round two. Turkey is in the oven, Pumpkin pie is ready, now is sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, and green been casserole, I will pop my head in a bit, and clean up round two. Love kitchen with family days. :)

Reaction score
Baking with kids is going to be messy, there is no way to avoid it. The best thing you can do is teach them tho clean as they go along, this will hlep you to keep the mess from stacking up to badly. You can also get those littleones to roll up their sleaves and help clean. It is never to early to learn how clean up after yourself.

Reaction score
Yep, inevitable! I used to try to avoid it and then instead now I just do it when I have extra patience. I put on some music, make myself some coffee or something and go at it. They are learning!

Reaction score
Yep, inevitable! I used to try to avoid it and then instead now I just do it when I have extra patience. I put on some music, make myself some coffee or something and go at it. They are learning!

I think music is a great addition to any baking event. It seems to get the blood pumping and the mood lighter. When is going to be a kitchen day, cooking, baking, etc. My daughters bring their speakers, plugged them to their cell phone, click on Pandora, and music plays the whole time we are busy.

Reaction score
For me i think the mess is what adds to the whole experience of baking with children and having fun...i can't see tha harm in having a little flour here and there.:)

Reaction score
For me i think the mess is what adds to the whole experience of baking with children and having fun...i can't see tha harm in having a little flour here and there.:)

I see your point Kammy, but I would really have to condition my mind for this. I could not see myself doing this on a consistent basis. Truth be told cleaning up can be quite a challenge for me sometimes and because I am always rushing I can easily create my own mess:).

I am afraid I don't have the solution to no mess with children and baking. I feel like the two go hand in hand. Who knows? I might be wrong?

Reaction score
You could pre measure everything as I find that usually ends up being messy (especially flour!) and then just have them throw it in the bowl. I would also make them mix it with a wooden spoon-- no mixers!!! You could also lay out parchment paper on the surface you'll be using and just crumple it all up and throw it out when you're done!

Reaction score
I see your point Kammy, but I would really have to condition my mind for this. I could not see myself doing this on a consistent basis. Truth be told cleaning up can be quite a challenge for me sometimes and because I am always rushing I can easily create my own mess:).

I am afraid I don't have the solution to no mess with children and baking. I feel like the two go hand in hand. Who knows? I might be wrong?

I do understand that cooking with kids when you don't have much time on your hands can be a bit of a bother...it's best to do it when you have ample time on your hands and you're in that frame of mind.

Ask a Question