Easiest and fun baking idea with children.

Reaction score
I am looking for any kind of baking or cooking idea that is not all that difficult from a childs point of veiw. Also less messy wouldnt hurt! Anyone have any ideas? Or maybe something you found great to do with your little one?

Reaction score
As a kid it was always fun to decorate cupcakes. My mom would pre-bake the cupcakes and my siblings and I would decorate them. This was a treat, so it was always exciting. I would suggest laying down a cheap table cloth for easy clean-up. We always had an assortment of icings, chocolate chips, sprinkles, etc. You can get creative with it. I am twenty-four and I still adore those cupcake memories.

Reaction score
Pizzelles are fun, if you've got a pizzelle maker. I used to love making those with my mom, and would want to come up with all sorts of different flavors of them. You can even play with some food color and make different color ones too for fun, or roll them around a tube while they are still pliable to make cannolis.

The other cool thing about them, is you get to eat them relatively quickly after they come out of the machine and set. You don't have to wait for the whole batch of them to be done.

Sure, you need to keep an eye on them when using the device, but it's still relatively safe and much safer than an open flame on a burner or perhaps even burning themselves on the oven door or fumbling around with a hot baking sheet.

Reaction score
My mother, and now I always let the kids in the kitchen with me when I'm cooking. I let them do the simple things in the kitchen like pour the ingredients into the pot or pan that I'm working with.

When it comes to baking, the only thing that I won't let the kids do is to take the pan into or out of the oven. The kids love cooking with mom because it makes them feel like grown ups.

Reaction score
When my nephew seems interested in what we're all up to in the kitchen, we usually let him help us with the easy things. One task e enjoys is when he mashes chocolate in a bowl. Another is when he helps me sift the flour and other ingredients. He also likes adding toppings to his cupcakes.

Reaction score
My granddaughter loves it when we get in the kitchen to do some cooking or baking. The last time she was here we made some bread and she learned how to knead the dough. She was very impressed with herself, having created a loaf of bread on her own, from scratch. I cut the recipe in half so she only had to deal with enough dough for one loaf.

Reaction score
These are awesome ideas! Little one will be arriving in a month, and even though it'll be a long while before he or she will be ready to putter around the kitchen with me, I'm already excited just thinking of all the possibilities. One dish I'm thinking about doing with my child would be mashed potatoes. It's versatile and you can go as simple or as complicated as you want. We can even make gnocchi!

Ask a Question