Banana cake - not bread !!

Reaction score
I've been trying for ages to make a light banana cake but the few recipes that I tried all seem to end up as more of a heavy banana bread rather than a cake !!

So, has anyone got a foolproof recipe that would help me end up with a light, airy banana cake?? I realise that the bananas make the mix quite heavy but surely there must be a way to end up with cake - either white or brown will do....

Below is picture of todays offering - half white flour, half wholemeal

Thanks in advance

Barry

Attachments

• BM-20210608_135932 (1).jpg
    BM-20210608_135932 (1).jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 53
Reaction score
If you want banana cake, you have to use a cake recipe. And if you want a light airy cake you cannot use wholemeal flour. Wholemeal flour will create a lead weight. Banana anything is already going to be heavy to begin with. And when you add the wholemeal you’re just going to make it heavier.

You need a banana cake recipe that uses plain or cake flour.

Reaction score
Cooks County is an American recipe. It will not work in the UK because domestic wheat in the UK is different from US wheat. Flour in the UK is significantly lower in protein.

US eggs are graded different than European eggs, so US eggs are significantly smaller. So the protein in the flour will be wrong and the ratio of egg to flour in the recipe will also incorrect.

US units is not the same as imperial so the measurements do not convert the same when converting an American cup to metric weight. So that will further skew the ratios of ingredient.

Differences in ingredients vary from country to country. So when you use an American recipe it totally fails in the UK and elsewhere and vice versa.

When selecting a recipe, always use a recipe from your country of origin for best results.

Reaction score
Thanks for replies - seems like US recipe wouldn't work so I'll avoid them. I think I've gound a good recipe on our trusty old BBC Food channel.
Thanks again

Ask a Question