Blueberry Bread

Reaction score
My mother-in-law always makes this bread, when the blueberry bushes are overflowing. It is so delicious, I have to share the recipe. I have yet to make it, but next year when the bushes are ready, I am going to try it. I hope you enjoy it!

1 1/4 C Sifted flour

1 C sugar

1/2 tsp. soda

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 C shortening

2 1/2 C blueberries

2 eggs

1. Combine shortening with all dry ingredients.
2. Add blueberries and well beaten eggs, quickly and lightly.
3. Bake in well greased and floured pans for 45-50 minutes. Oven temp. 350 degrees.

Reaction score
I absolutely love recipes that don't need dozens of ingredients. This looks lovely! I really enjoy blueberry muffins, pie, pancakes, and everything else with blueberries! :D I am totally 100% going to get use from this recipe. I especially like that it calls for fresh berries rather than frozen. I can't wait to try it. I saved it into my special recipe folder. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your welcome! I am also quite addicted to blueberries. I never use frozen berries. Well, I take that back. I do freeze fresh picked blueberries. When the crops coming in, I freeze some for pancakes and such.

Reaction score
This recipe is short, simple, and to the point. The type of recipe that I love to try as it seems fairly easy. Thanks for posting up so that other people can try it out.

Reaction score
Yummo.. I'm gluten free now, but I never thought to add blueberries. Going to go through my recipes today to find one they'll fit with :)

Reaction score
Do you have to do anything special to freeze your blueberries?

I showed this recipe to my friend and the first thing she said was, "Wouldn't that be good warm from the oven with some ice cream melted over it?" Oh... yes, it certainly would be!

I wonder if anyone has ever made strawberry bread? I bet that could work with this recipe too.

Reaction score
I just bag my blueberries up and freeze them. I wash them as I use them, if you do it before you freeze them you might want to dry them well. There might be a better way to freeze them, but I usually use them up so quickly, that this way works for me. Strawberry bread might be awesome, too! If the school does strawberry sales this year, I might try it out.

Ask a Question