Butter vs Margarine: Which One is Better?

Reaction score
Team butter all the way! Butter tastes oh so much better than margarine. Margarine is in fact a "fake" butter that has a nasty taste and leaves a trail of nastiness if used in cooking/baking.

Reaction score
Haha, I seem to be the odd one out. I use both butter and margarine! I generally just use which ever I have on hand at the time. Though, for chocolate chip cookies, I will always use butter. :)

Reaction score
Margarine is nothing but chemicals. For those that keep it on hand because it's more spreadable, have you ever seen a butter bell? Wonderful contraptions that let you leave the butter out on the counter so it's always spreadable. They also make butter boats.

Reaction score
This is a recent development for me, but I also only use real butter. I have to buy Country Crock still though, because my BF thinks THAT is real butter. No kidding, right? He was raised on Country Crock and swears that it's the real thing and that it's way better than real butter. He doesn't know that I never use it in anything; I just keep it around for him to spread on his own food.

Reaction score
Personally I prefer margarine and will use it if I make toast or things like that. But when it comes to baking I always use butter, I think in sweets it tastes better and gives the desserts a richer creamier flavor than you can get from margarine. I used margarine in a pinch before and the results were not the same...and that's coming from someone who doesn't particularly care for butter.

Reaction score
Butter always! I never buy margarine... I don't see the point unless you have some sort of health issues that prevent you from eating the real stuff!

Reaction score
I only use butter, but that's because I personally think it takes a lot better! I don't keep margarine in my house but my parents do, it's very easy to spread on toast. However if I was on a diet I would consider switching to Margarine.

Reaction score
Some people argue that butter is unhealthy, but if you're already eating a cookie or a piece of cake, then butter should be the least of your concerns. Cake isn't health food. Eat a salad if you're so worried about calories.

Reaction score
Some people argue that butter is unhealthy, but if you're already eating a cookie or a piece of cake, then butter should be the least of your concerns. Cake isn't health food. Eat a salad if you're so worried about calories.
Essentially, yeah. I mean sure, butter isn't the best of things for you, but then you're already eating a cookie or some big cake, so why are you worrying about the butter and not the fact that you're stuffing your face?

Reaction score
I am a firm believer in butter. I was raised on butter and I totally agree about the taste difference. Margarine has a distinct taste. I would go to my best friends house and they only had margarine. They always had a huge tub of it. I hated the strange chemical taste. I never thought it tasted like butter. The texture doesn't even really feel the same.

Reaction score
In my daily cooking it's butter all the way, especially in my rice and steam fish dishes it gives you that great flavor however there is nothing to my hubby like a thick chunk of bread that's covered with margarine. I guess everyone has their preferences !

Reaction score
I always use butter if a recipe calls for margarine, because margarine is unhealthy. Besides, I think butter gives a richer flavor....

Reaction score
I will always favor real butter over margarine, I wasn't so sure about it before, but a friend of mine told me why margarine shouldn't be used. He told me all that fat could stay in the arteries and harden, it was like eating a very slow working poison. So no thanks! I never use margarine anymore! It scares me to think I did for a while tho.

Now I'll also try to avoid vegetable oil, I'll use coconut and olive oil instead,

Reaction score
My church offers a free community dinner every Monday for people who live in our little town. Both of my kids have to be there because they volunteer there so that means I have to go too. Sometimes the food is off the charts good sometimes it leaves something to be desired but the desserts are always fantastic.

Now you must know, I use only butter. I switched when I decided on a whole food diet. I know whee butter comes from the same cannot be said of margarine. Sometimes it is better for you than margarine sometimes it is totally not.

When I finally got there yesterday there were few desserts left. Cake and rice krispie treats. They were so gross with their overpowering fake butter taste. I couldn't even eat them. I do not know if a really bad margarine was used or fake butter flavoring.

Either way that reinforced my notion that butter is always best.
I used to only buy margarine or something similar to it. I guess it's because we have seen so much on TV about butter being so bad for your heart and overall health. I listened and switched to margarine. Recently though, I am beginning to hear the opposite. I switched back to purchasing and using only butter in our house. I just feel more confident in the benefits that come with it. Don't get me wrong, we don't over use it by any means.... but when we need it it's what we use now.
Hope this helps!

Danyel :)

Reaction score
I have become pro-butter. I used to use both, and for awhile fell for the propaganda that said margarine is healthier. I now know better. Goat butter is good but hard to come by, even if you have milk goats (goat milk does not separate) .

Reaction score
I use only butter as well. I grew up with margarine, but stars learning about nutrition and how it's bad for you I. HS, so I stopped eating it. I have never purchased margarine myself and now I can't stand the flavor, it tastes so fake to me since I'm used to the real thing.

Reaction score
I have used both before, if margarine was all I had. I try not to use it much for anything any more though. I definitely prefer butter when it comes to baking. I've heard people say that they can't tell the difference, but I just don't know how that's possible. To me, there is a huge difference, in the taste, the texture, everything.

Reaction score
I have used both before, if margarine was all I had. I try not to use it much for anything any more though. I definitely prefer butter when it comes to baking. I've heard people say that they can't tell the difference, but I just don't know how that's possible. To me, there is a huge difference, in the taste, the texture, everything.
I don't know how someone can't tell, some margarines even stink, they are totally different things.

Reaction score
I don't know how someone can't tell, some margarines even stink, they are totally different things.

I know right? I mean, I guess they aren't the ones doing the baking. Some say they don't notice a difference in baked goods. I can always tell instantly. The taste of butter is so much better, and the baked goods smell better as well. The consistency and texture is also noticeably different. It's even more noticeable in cookies or anything else that can be delicate.

Ask a Question