Help! I messed up my cake flour recipe

Reaction score
Hi, I tried to make cake flour. I messed up the recipe.Iwas supposed to make it with 6 cups all-purpose flour and 12 tablespoons of cornstarch.First i started putting all of the 12 tablespoons in a bag,then i added in the 6 cups of flour closed the bag and shook it. THEN i realized what i had done.

I messed it up by not taking out 2 tablespoons of flour and replacing it with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch.Is there a way I can fix this? If not I've just wasted a bunch of flour.and I'm almost out of cornstarch. Thanks in advance ;)

Reaction score
Oh Shawnneej, we have all made these silly baking mistakes.
I don't think it's that big of a deal. I would add a bit more cornstarch to the mix.

WARNING: Here comes MATH!
You should have taken out 3/4 cup of flour.
So you need to add 3/4 of 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. That is 6 teaspoons of cornstarch. 3/4 of 6 teaspoons is 2.
So add 4 teaspoons of cornstarch to the mix.

Is that right? Please check my math...we're not the best of friends. My brain hurts now.

Reaction score
Are you sure i should add more cornstarch to the mixture, and not more flour? I was supposed to take some flour out and i didnt...? Please explain lol i just want to be sure ;) and thank you for replying

Reaction score
I know my response was not too clear...i was writing while I was thinking it through.
OK--let's do this together...

If you were supposed to take flour OUT and you didn't, that means there is TOO MUCH flour. Right?
So you need to add the appropriate amount of cornstarch to accommodate for the extra flour.

Reaction score
I needed the cake flour for a Matcha green tea cake;) i was tring to get all my ingredients ready ;) now i just need to convert all my supplies from grams into normal USA measurements ;)

Reaction score
See this why I just go ahaead and buy cake flour. I could see myself doing the same thing and messing up a whole cake. I wounld never even know what went wrong. I will leave this t the pros.

Reaction score
I needed the cake flour for a Matcha green tea cake;) i was tring to get all my ingredients ready ;) now i just need to convert all my supplies from grams into normal USA measurements ;)

Ooh YUM! What is your favorite matcha for baking? I have only used the one from KissMe Organics.

Reaction score
Ooh YUM! What is your favorite matcha for baking? I have only used the one from KissMe Organics.

I love the sound of a matcha green tea cake - I see so many recipes using matcha now, I really must give it a try. I made matcha green tea ice cream a couple of months ago, and it was delicious! The color is so vibrant too.

Let us know how your cake turns out - it would be good to know how yours went before I attempt it. I wonder if matcha cookies would work? Anyone know?

Ask a Question