How would you bake a rice flour cake?

Reaction score
I am attempting to make a good rice flour cake, but the recipe's out there are few. One of the problems is the texture of the rice flour; it tends to be grainy. Do you have any suggestions on how I can make a good rice flour cake?

Reaction score
Hi,
Are you using brown rice flour or japanese mochi flour?
Also, what kind of cake do you want to make?
HI, I am using what would be considered brown rice flour but it is actually white but has not been processed. I want to make a basic yellow cake. I have tried one recipe that used sweetened condensed milk and sugar and it was very good. But it called for yeast, and I would really prefer to learn how to cook with the rice flour without yeast if possible. But when I try it without, the ricebread or cake becomes very dense. Someone posted a new recipe I'm going to try, and I'll post the result. But I would appreciate many recipe's as my husband and I are trying to go gluten free unless we are baking for a party or for company.

Reaction score
Hi,

This recipe from Serious Eats looks good. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/gluten-free-single-layer-yellow-cake.html
I've used many recipes from the site and I haven't been disappointed.
I use coconut flour often and I really like it, but it takes some trial and error to get it right (and too heavy for a cake).
I hope you have success with the cake. I looks yummy!

Kate

Thanks! I tried it. It turned out really good. I used rice flour and substituted almond extract for the vanilla extract. That is very interesting about coconut flour. I have been wanting to do some things with it but would need to make it myself. I have yet to try out a recipe for good coconut flour, do you have any good links for making your own?

Reaction score
Thanks for the link! I'm going to try it at least once to see how much time it makes and what the shelf life is. But we use a lot of other types of flours too so if its too much work it probably won't be a regular habit. Tuesdays are my days to try things out from my cooking forums or blogs I follow. Thanks for helping make my house smell really good for everyone when they come home. :)

Reaction score
I made the mistake of replacing the sugar with stevia, and I think it messed with the consistency. As you can see from the photo it looks more like flat bread. The taste was good though and very much like a yellow cake taste. I am thinking it would be of more interest on the disaster help threads! I will try again with the sugar and see if it makes a difference. I also think my pan might have been too big.

Attachments

• P5150020.JPG
    P5150020.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 523
Reaction score
Is that the rice flour cake or one you made with coconut flour?
No, it was the rice flour. I have not been able to find the coconut flour yet. I need to look up online how to make it. I am thinking I just need a food processor or blender strong enough to make it super fine. There is a place in the town where I am at the moment, that grinds rice into flour so I am wondering if I took enough coconut if they could do that. But I don't know if the coconut would need to be dried first. Any advice on how to make coconut flour?

Reaction score
As far as I can think of coconut flour is to blend the coconut in a blender. If possible please share the images. I would love to see them.

Reaction score
As far as I can think of coconut flour is to blend the coconut in a blender. If possible please share the images. I would love to see them.

I have blended my coconut into flour, but before I bake with it, I wanted to ask you if you think this is fine enough. What do you think? Will this work? I am attaching a photo. Thanks. :)

Attachments

• Snapshot_20140520.JPG
    Snapshot_20140520.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 490
Reaction score
Here is the finished product. I made a microwave coconut flour chocolate mug cake. It also has banana in it. I used Stevia and baking soda. The recipe called for egg white but I used the whole egg. It turned out really good! Thanks for letting me know about Coconut flour! I can't wait to start experimenting with other things. It is funny to see the course a thread takes; I opened up asking about rice flour and it ended up talking about coconut. It was well worth the diversion.

Attachments

• P5260008.JPG
    P5260008.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 494
Reaction score
That's lovely! I'm sorry couldn't reply, but you did a great job. Keep it up and keep sharing the images of your creations.

Ask a Question