Cake pop fail

Reaction score
I'm having an issue here with these cake pops. I'm at the point that where I put the ball on the stick it falls off. When I go to dip them they sometimes fall off or when I set them up to dry they slide down the stick. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. On the other hand, I just use the mixture to make truffles.

Reaction score
I'm having an issue here with these cake pops. I'm at the point that where I put the ball on the stick it falls off. When I go to dip them they sometimes fall off or when I set them up to dry they slide down the stick. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. On the other hand, I just use the mixture to make truffles.

Oh yes, the dreaded cake pop learning curve. I went to a cake pop class some years ago because these issues were driving me mad. Here's what I learned, hope its some help

Cake pop falls off stick:

Bake cake for cake pops at least a day in advance; resting the cake overnight allows for the steam created during baking to fully evaporate. After the cake cools completely, wrap in plastic wrap until ready to use

Trim off the crust before crumbling. The crust is dry and will not absorb the icing well. The dry clumps of crust will interfere with forming a good cake ball

Do NOT use a lot of icing. Icing is weight, and heavy cake balls will fall off the stick. Add a little at a time, mix it in very well, but take care not on mash it into a paste. You want it moist, but somewhat fluffy if that makes sense. Pinch a bit between your fingers to see if the crumbs stick together before adding more icing.

Make small cake balls—big cake balls are too heavy to stay on the stick

Make sure the exteriors are very smooth. Lumpy cake balls create an uneven coating; if the chocolate is heavier on one side, the cake ball will fall off the stick.

After forming the cake balls, do NOT insert the stick. Chill cake balls for 15 mins.

Melt a small amount of chocolate and dip the tip of the stick in the melted chocolate, then insert it into the cake pop

Do NOT dip the cake pop right after inserting the stick. Set it aside and continue inserting the sticks into the remaining cake balls then chill them all for about 15 -20 minutes before dipping.

Cake pop falls off in chocolate

Use a tall narrow container for melted chocolate. Make sure there is enough chocolate in the container to completely submerge at least a ¼” over the cake pop

A microwavable plastic cup works better than glass in my opinion. But some bakers do not like to microwave plastic

Dip straight in and pull straight out--do NOT swirl the cake pop in the chocolate. Completely submerge the cake pop. That is why you need a tall narrow container. It’s important to NOT swirl the cake pop as the resistance for the thick chocolate will knock the cake pop off the stick.

If you cannot completely submerge the cake pop in the chocolate, tilt the container from side to side to move the chocolate around the cake pop.

Buy good coating chocolate/candy melts, Merkens or Guittard Apeels as they melt well and stay thinner longer. Wilton is very thick to begin with and thickens very quickly as it cools. If using Wilton, buy extra and instead of trying to reheat and thin with shortening after it gets too thick to use, just melt a fresh batch. Wilton does not reheat well at all, so melt small batches and as soon as it starts to thicken, make a fresh batch.

Always make extra cake pops because there will be some that fail—there’s no getting around it.

After I completed the class and practiced until they stayed on the stick, I was so tired of making them I haven't made them since. o_O

Ask a Question