Cake Rings or Cake Pans ?

SHA

Reaction score
I'm confused on whether to use cake pans or cake rings (w/batter baked in a baking sheet -1/2 size sheet?). Do you switch back and forth between the 2 methods or stick with just one ? Do you need to have 2 inch and 3 inch high pans or are you covered just having the 3 inch ?

Reaction score
Pastry chefs bake in full size sheets, then cut cake circles in the sizes they want using cake rings.

A cake circle is placed inside, the ring is lined with an acetate collar; the cake is then stacked and filled in the ring. The ring ensures the cake is even and level.

The acetate collar makes fast work of icing the top even and smooth. After chilling remove the ring and collar to ice the side.

Cake ring is more versatile than a cake pan.

But it’s also personal preference.

Reaction score
NOTE: Full size sheet pan will NOT fit in a home oven. The largest sheet pan you can fit in a home oven is a 2/3 sheet pan.

SHA

Reaction score
Looking for opinions on adjustable rings vs fixed diameter cake rings.

Reaction score
Rings are generally used for entremets, mousse and non-liquid items.

Cake pans (round) are generally used for liquid or semi-liquid batter items.

Sheet pans or fractional sheet pans can be used for nearly any shape, cut after baking, again using a liquid or semi-liquid batter.

Adjustable rings are usable but the best surface smoothness on the sides will be achieved with fixed size rings. The adjustable mechanism leaves a mark. Not a problem if icing or decoration is used, not great if the as-baked surface will be seen.

SHA

Reaction score
Another question regarding cake pan height - can I use a 3 inch high pan for any amount of batter or do I need shorter pans when making less batter ?

Reaction score
Another question regarding cake pan height - can I use a 3 inch high pan for any amount of batter or do I need shorter pans when making less batter ?
TBH 3” deep pans are not advisable. They

If you fill the 3” deep 2/3 or more full, you will need to use a heating core to ensure the center bakes without overbaking the sides and bottom.

Also reduce the oven temperature by 15°F – 25°F. This will ensure a level cake and keep the cake from over baking forming a dark brown dry crust.

You can fill any cake pan with as much or as little batter as you wish. Less batter means less bake time.

Reaction score
Rings have sharp edges the springforms don't.

Not all rings have sharp edges.

These are a few of the edges on rings I own. The rings on top and bottom have actual cutting edges to cut through a sheet cake. The square ring in the center has a wider edge; it won’t cut as cleanly through some cakes. With a wide edge ring, I the ring as a guide and use a sharp to cut through the cake.
5B2F754A-08A0-446E-B213-3D9C8B3D3AC6.jpeg

SHA

Reaction score
I wanted to get 3 inch high pans so I would have less pans and more options for how much cake I might want to bake - from your experience what would you consider an adequate cake pan inventory (beginner as well as advanced home baker) ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I wanted to get 3 inch high pans so I would have less pans and more options for how much cake I might want to bake - from your experience what would you consider an adequate cake pan inventory (beginner as well as advanced home baker) ?
Pioneer Woman Cake Pan..jpeg

I bought 3 of these Pioneer Woman cake pans from Walmart. They are very thick, heavy duty, 3 inches high & have a foral design on the bottom. Great for industrial use!! I like heavy duty thick tall pans. There doesn't seem to be any better ones!!

The reguar ones just seem too thin, flimsy & they're just not tall enough for me!! Looking closely at it, you can easily tell that it has some serious height to it!! :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question