What are your favorite cake and frosting flavor pairings?

Reaction score
I'm curious to know which flavor pairings people prefer when it comes to cake and frosting. Some flavors go well together naturally, like chocolate and vanilla, while some might be more unusual. What are your favorites? (Don't feel you need to limit yourself to just one!)

Reaction score
I'm not very adventurous when it comes to food. I prefer classic white cake with a light whipped frosting. There are times when I have a taste for chocolate cake mix with mini chocolate chips added for a slight texture or crunch topped with chocolate frosting. I really like vanilla or chocolate pudding in between layers.

You did not mention what your favorite cake and frosting flavor pairing is. What are yours?

Reaction score
I love carrot cake with thick (non-whipped) vanilla icing. I like to eat the cake insides first, saving the icing with a thin layer of cake for last. It's like two different treats!

Reaction score
I actually love chocolate cake with banana filling and whipped cream frosting. I don't know why but it is my favorite and I make it for my birthday every year. Nice 2 layer chocolate cake, usually devils food cake, banana pudding, slices of banana in the middle and topped with a whipped cream frosting with chocolate cookie crumbs and banana slices on top.

Reaction score
Raspberry and chocolate is my favourite flavour combo, in any way it comes :D

Reaction score
I really like pineapple upside down cake and chocolate cake with vanilla icing, and tres leches with fruit, I guess I have three favorites.:) I always love trying new combinations as well, but for now these three are my favorite. What was your favorite?

Reaction score
I love yellow cake with chocolate frosting. It's my favorite! I also love chocolate cake with whipped cream icing but not as much as the yellow.

Reaction score
Yellow with chocolate frosting after being in the fridge for a while: Heavenly!

I also enjoy red velvet with a cream filling and vanilla frosting. I put that in the fridge too... in fact, I prefer most of my treats cold. I think it adds something to the flavor, texture and entire appeal of the dessert.

Reaction score
Yellow with chocolate frosting after being in the fridge for a while: Heavenly!

I also enjoy red velvet with a cream filling and vanilla frosting. I put that in the fridge too... in fact, I prefer most of my treats cold. I think it adds something to the flavor, texture and entire appeal of the dessert.

I agree with you on that one, it just has a better taste for some reason and just brings the flavors all together I think. I have never tried red velvet with a cream filling and vanilla frosting but it sounds good, do you have a recipe you can share with us so we can try it?

Reaction score
My favorite cake is Classic Carrot Cake. What I love about making Carrot cake you can either add raisin, nuts, pineapples or coconut depending on your preference. It can either be filled with white vanilla butter cream frosting or cream cheese. I usually frost it with white vanilla butter cream, and sparkle it with some coconut flakes on top. :D

Reaction score
My favorite cake is Classic Carrot Cake. What I love about making Carrot cake you can either add raisin, nuts, pineapples or coconut depending on your preference. It can either be filled with white vanilla butter cream frosting or cream cheese. I usually frost it with white vanilla butter cream, and sparkle it with some coconut flakes on top. :D

I like carrot cake too sometimes just to change it up a little. Although I don't think that I have tried it with white vanilla butter cream sparkled with some coconut flakes, that sounds good, I think I am going to give it try sometime, thanks for the idea.

Reaction score
My favorite is carrot cake with cream cheese icing. If I bite into the carrot cake and the icing isn't cream cheese, I'm disappointed. I don't like anything in it either, except, perhaps, raisins. Raisins are good in anything. Anything else, though, no thanks. Also, the thicker the icing, the better. I've never done it but I think I could eat cream cheese icing by the bowl.

Reaction score
I have two favorite cakes. I like chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. I make the frosting with semisweet chocolate chips, butter, corn syrup and heavy cream. My favorite cake is vanilla cake with buttercream frosting.

Reaction score
My favorite cake pairings are yellow cake with chocolate frosting, like others have mentioned. I think it tastes amazing!
I also love chocolate cake with white, whipped icing! It is fantastic!
You can't go wrong with chocolate cake with chocolate icing either! Honestly, I could never pick just one pairing! Let's be truthful here, I love all cake and icing combos!
Ultimately, I think the best pairing is cake with vanilla ice cream! I love to eat warm cake with cold ice cream! It is soooo good! I like to let my cake soak up the ice cream and get mushy. :) Of course, add some sprinkles on top and it's a party! :)

Reaction score
I like carrot cake with creme cheese icing... I like red velvet cake with creme cheese icing... Ha, those are the only two I have tried it on, but I think I like anything with creme cheese icing. I think the one thing I disagree with everyone else on is the chocolate cake with chocolate icing. I really think the cake and icing should be different, and that is too much chocolate for me.

Reaction score
I love trying new cake-frosting combinations. I like picking two flavors that go well together and can be something a little different. My last batch of cupcakes was lemon cake with lime frosting, which turned out great! I like strawberry cake with chocolate or a buttercream frosting. I also enjoy some of the classics like carrot cake with a cream cheese frosting.

Recently at the store I saw some cool powder frosting-flavor packets to add to vanilla frosting for some fun variety, like mint and butterscotch. That could open up even more doors for sweet flavor combos to entice everyone!

Reaction score
Recently for my mother's birthday, we bought a chocolate cake. I ended up frosting the cake last minute with a fudgy chocolate frosting and for the writing, strawberry cream cheese frosting. The pairing together was phenomenal.

Reaction score
Dark choclolate cake paired with vanilla butter cream is a classic and one of my favorites. A good spice cake with cream cheese frosting is another favorite of mine.

Reaction score
As far as basic flavors, I like vanilla cake with strawberry flavored buttercream - preferably Italian. And I also like the flavors flipped; strawberry cake with vanilla buttercream.

But I like to play around and turn food and drinks into cakes. So far, my most successful attempt was Pina Colada. I found a really good coconut cake recipe that uses coconut milk and I paired that with pineapple flavored whipped cream icing, which I dyed a light yellow to give it a pineapple/tropical look to it.

I'm currently working on a strawberry lemonade cupcake. I wanted to do a lemon cake and then do the strawberry buttercream with lemon zest on top. The buttecream was great, but the cake was not. Need to find a different recipe, I guess.

Reaction score
Carrot cake and homemade cream cheese icing! I do not like store bought icing except the cool whip type. Even then I still prefer all homemade icing.

I also love my cakes and fruit icing such as Angel Food cake smothered with fresh strawberries and strawberry glaze. I sometimes add blackberries and blueberries.

Ask a Question