Can baking make you happier?

Reaction score
I am always hesitant when I hear of a manic-depressive not taking their medication. That being said, I am always happiest when I am baking. I never thought of the fact that I am in control when I bake due to measuring the ingredients. Cool article!

Reaction score
It's a little concerning that some of the people in the article aren't taking medication to manage their depression but it's good that they've found and outlet and a way to be creative and cheer themselves up.
If it raises awareness and makes people more educated and understanding about manic depression, that's even better.

Reaction score
I would have to agree that it is frightening to hear of people not taking their meds!

My Dad was diagnosed with depression after he had a hemoragic stroke two years ago. Apparently one of the side effects of a stroke is depression. But he was also depressed for years before that and would go on and off his meds! He was on meds for about a year after the stroke and then decided he didn't need them. :( He is a much nicer person when he is on them!! His Dr and his kids (6 of us) have tried to get him to go back on - but to no avail. :( It is sad really to see how much it changes his personality! He NEEDS them otherwise life is too depressing for him, etc.:(

Anyway, didn't mean to get all down in this thread!! Sorry about that! I think baking is therapeutic and I can see how it would help people with depression! Interesting article! Thanks for sharing! :)

Reaction score
There's definitely truth in that. I suffer from depression, but baking really helps me - I find mixing everything up really therapeutic and it takes my mind off my problems for a while. It can have th opposite effect when I eat too much of the finished product, because I feel quite guilty, but it really does provide temporary relief.

Reaction score
There is a cure for everyone and it's not meds. It's a matter of finding your own unique method of combating it. I do know meds help those who can't find their cause (by treating symptoms, not curing), but this article just goes to show.. depression isn't who you are; your not so weak that you can't beat it. Depression will have you believing that for sure though.. it's a sad state.

Reaction score
Certainly something like baking could help with depression, just as painting or restoring automobiles - whatever interests you and gives you some sense of pride and accomplishment.

Those images in the article are hilarious, the frowning gingerbread men, the storm cloud cupcakes - it put a smile on my face. I've dealt with depression for as long as I can remember, going back to my teen years, and have done my fair share of illegal and legal drugs, along with periods of alcoholism. I was miserable on anti-depressants, they reminded me of the "fake" ups and downs of being on other illegal drugs. I knew when it was the meds giving me an artificial spike in my mood, and that I was going to crash a little bit later. They also made me even more paranoid about my erratic behavior around others when they noticed me mood swinging on them.

Reaction score
There are other natural methods to controlling your depression without meds. Most of these meds can even cause you to become depressed. Therefore, why would a depressed person take something that can make matters worst?

I think that is it great that they found some sort of outlet to help with their depression.

Reaction score
There's something about baking that soothes my frenetic mind. From experimenting with a favorite recipe to creating an edible piece of art, baking helps calm my thoughts. The activity, while often challenging, provides me with a productive way to breathe easier. I'm glad that others have also found that baking helps lift their spirits.

Reaction score
For me it isn't just baking, but cooking in general.

I have had a lot of stress lately, and a lot of the time, while I'm doing something I'm thinking about the next few things that need to get done. Cooking isn't like that. When I cook or bake, I'm so hopeful that it will turn out good (I've only been cooking for few months) that I seem to forget all else I need to do, and just concentrate on the exact recipe. It's instant stress- relief.

I've also been recovering from depression (not severe enough to need medication, but still hard) and baking is definitely helpful. That feeling when you bake/cook something, and you bring it to your family or friends, and they all like it, brings a smile to my face. Sometimes it can save my day, even when other things don't work out:).

Reaction score
I read a book by a neuroscientist that talked about the connection that doing something meaningful with your hands really does help to alleviate depression. That's not to say that someone should stop taking their medication! One of the symptoms of depression is not wanting to do many of the activities that you used to enjoy. This doctor was saying that if a person can get up the strength to start doing tasks like baking, cleaning or crafts, that it really does something to the brain.

Reaction score
I suffer from depression, and I can personally say that baking does help with the depression for a short time. That is an interesting article. I love reading things like that. Baking also helps to take your mind off of other things, which can be a very good thing. Distractions are nice sometimes.

Reaction score
I think that it can be very therapeutic for a person to bake. It frees the mind and gives a person some relief from the everyday norm. Like other posters here, I would be wary of not taking my meds and using baking as a therapy alone. I feel that is asking for trouble.

Reaction score
I love this article!

I think baking is akin to cleaning. Both activities keep you preoccupied with detailed acts, so you don't have time to worry or be upset about life. So, I do see how baking can make a person happier.

Reaction score
I can say that baking something helps my mood. I love to knead bread as an outlet. I can see how it would make a person happier to bake because you are creating something most likely from scratch that people will eat and enjoy.

Reaction score
Here's an interesting article about using baking as informal therapy for depression; I love the "Depressed Cake Shop" idea to raise funds and awareness!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23756645

i had severe life long depression but didn't even know it, I thought everyone felt what I felt until I became suicidal and had to get help. I was a baker so the idea that baking helps is kinda funny.
A psychiatrist can only explain how sick you are , they can't cure anyone, they don't have that sort of power.
I was on zoloft and paxil for a couple of yrs but felt strange. I didn't want relief, I wanted freedom.
I got free and have never suffered since. I'll put it simply,
there is no God pill.
If there was I wouldn't take it.

Ask a Question