Chocolate + water = chocolate mousse. Yes, really.

Reaction score

Forget all you know and watch Heston Blumenthal combine Water and Chocolate to create a stable mousse. It was invented by a French chemist named Dr. Herve This. The recipe is 270 ml. water to 350 grams chocolate. Be sure to use a high quality chocolate with at least 60% cocoa. Some of the YouTube comments give the proportions they used with different brands of chocolate, such as:

9.35 ounces (265 grams) bittersweet (%70 cocoa solids) chocolate, chopped (preferably Valrhona Guanaja)
1 cup (240 ml) water
4 tbsp sugar, optional

200g Green & Blacks dark chocolate
150ml water

Reaction score
Incredible, I had no idea you could do that!

I really like Heston Blumenthal, is he popular in the US too?

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't think I'd heard of him before this video. (Or maybe I have, just never paid attention.)

Planning to try this with some chocolate my soldier brother sent from El Salvador!

Reaction score
Sounds good, let us know how it goes.

Heston Blumenthal is pretty well known over here for weird and wonderful recipes - when you see him making them it looks more like chemistry in a lab! Cooking / baking is all about chemistry though, so it's interesting to see his take on things.

Reaction score
This is fantastic! I got distracted watching the other Heston Blumenthal videos. The Fat Duck is in my bucket list!

Reaction score
Thanks so much for sharing this! I would love to incorporate chocolate mousse in some of my pastry dishes this year for the holidays. This is definitely a way easier recipe than the ones that I've found, so I'm definitely going to give it a shot. I can't believe the ingredients list is so little! Thanks again for sharing!

Reaction score
This is interesting. I make something similar in a double boiler with heavy cream and chocolate, but it comes out much thicker once it sets. It's technically called a ganache I believe, and is what is used as a filling for chocolate truffles. He mentions that this has more of a chocolate flavor since it's not using cream, but isn't the water diluting the chocolate just as the cream would? I will definitely have to give this a try.

Reaction score
This is amazing. It makes me really excited, I think I'm going to try this sometime soon! Just, wow...

Reaction score
That's really all it is? wow I thought involved more... milk or cream than that... I wonder what would happen if you did use milk instead of water

Reaction score
Wow! Such a simple recipe. I will have to try making it this way. My boyfriend loves chocolate mousse, so this will be amazing news to him. Now that I saw a recipe that takes less ingredients, I can make it more often. I'm so glad I saw this post. Thank you for posting it.

Reaction score
Where has this thread and video been?

I've watched the video and can't believe that this is actually that simple. Though, when I try it out it may turn out completely different!

Reaction score
Wow! I never knew it was really this simple of a recipe to make mousse. I think I want to try it and see how it does. I could maybe even try milk instead of water. Either way, it sounds yummy.

Reaction score
Wow....forget everything you thought you knew is right...that's mindblowingly simple! Love it! I'm going to have to try this one out sometime...just awesome :D.

Reaction score
This is interesting. I make something similar in a double boiler with heavy cream and chocolate, but it comes out much thicker once it sets. It's technically called a ganache I believe, and is what is used as a filling for chocolate truffles. He mentions that this has more of a chocolate flavor since it's not using cream, but isn't the water diluting the chocolate just as the cream would? I will definitely have to give this a try.

That's what I was thinking at first, that the dilution would be the same. The water doesn't have it's only flavor though, so maybe that's the difference. I still think the creamy version would be richer though. Either way, it's chocolate, so it's got to be good, right? So simple too.

Thanks for sharing this, Soliloquy. Very cool.

Reaction score
And I thought mousse was so complicated! I wonder what it is about the chocolate that gives it the ability to form mousse like that. It must work as you say, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Reaction score
YUMMY! This sounds like a great way to create a light mousse, at least light than it would be if it were created with dairy products. I might never try it tho :p Sounds a bit risky and right now I don't have access to qualoity chocolate for this kind of recipes :( And even if I did... not sure I'd risk it.

Reaction score
I always thought mousse was too hard to make myself, so I never even gave it a second thought. This revolutionizes that idea and makes it so simple a trained monkey could make it. I completely approve, and a very nice video :D

Educational and I learned something new today. Learning is indeed a powering feeling.

Ask a Question