Christmas cake

Reaction score
In a break with tradition, I have decided to actually bake my cake more than just a couple of weeks before Christmas this year! :D It will give me plenty of time to feed it with alcohol, so it should be ready for eating at the start of December. I'll try to remember to take some photos next time I unwrap it for a feed.

Anyone else started to think about Christmas baking?

Reaction score
Here it is, fed it with some whisky this morning :D

christmas cake.jpg

This is the recipe I used this year: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/nov/17/how-cook-perfect-christmas-cake

Reaction score
In a break with tradition, I have decided to actually bake my cake more than just a couple of weeks before Christmas this year! :D It will give me plenty of time to feed it with alcohol, so it should be ready for eating at the start of December. I'll try to remember to take some photos next time I unwrap it for a feed.

Anyone else started to think about Christmas baking?

I’ve been thinking about Christmas baking and I’m really excited. I have decided to do some different things this year. My family is having a Thanksgiving/ Christmas get together on December 1st so I get to make things for both holidays which should be fun.
Last year for Christmas I made cupcakes but this year I’m going to try my hand at a couple different flavors of cake pops and some mini bundt cakes.
Plus all of the cookies and other treats I usually do for Christmas. Some of the cookies I’ll be able to freeze ahead of time thank goodness. Major time saver around the holidays!

Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about Christmas baking and I’m really excited. I have decided to do some different things this year. My family is having a Thanksgiving/ Christmas get together on December 1st so I get to make things for both holidays which should be fun.
Last year for Christmas I made cupcakes but this year I’m going to try my hand at a couple different flavors of cake pops and some mini bundt cakes.
Plus all of the cookies and other treats I usually do for Christmas. Some of the cookies I’ll be able to freeze ahead of time thank goodness. Major time saver around the holidays!

That sounds great, I've always wanted to make a bundt cake but I don't know whether I'd make them often enough to justify buying a tin. Wish I knew someone who had one so I could borrow it! I suppose the mini bundt cake pans take up less room, but I'm running short of space as it is.

Have you ever made a Yule Log? I made one a few years back and it was really tasty, might make one again this year.

Reaction score
That sounds great, I've always wanted to make a bundt cake but I don't know whether I'd make them often enough to justify buying a tin. Wish I knew someone who had one so I could borrow it! I suppose the mini bundt cake pans take up less room, but I'm running short of space as it is.

Have you ever made a Yule Log? I made one a few years back and it was really tasty, might make one again this year.

I’ve never made a Yule log but I really want to try. The issue I’m having is rolling the cake. I tried last year and the whole thing was a disaster. It was awful. It made me a bit nervous to try again. I mean I have had some things turn out bad but that was beyond horrible.

As for the bundt pans, my sister gave me a really nice bundt cake pan that make six mini bundt cakes and I love it.
She bought it from Pampered Chef.

Reaction score
I’ve never made a Yule log but I really want to try. The issue I’m having is rolling the cake. I tried last year and the whole thing was a disaster. It was awful. It made me a bit nervous to try again. I mean I have had some things turn out bad but that was beyond horrible.

That's a shame, they can be tricky but well worth the effort so don't give up! The one I made had roasted chestnut puree and brandy cream in the middle, yummmmm :)

Reaction score
I iced my Christmas cake at the weekend and we had our first slice yesterday :D

iced christmas cake 1.jpg

iced christmas cake 2.jpg

Decided to go for the 'snow storm' look with Royal Icing :D

Reaction score
Our family Christmas party was a success and everyone loved all of the baked goods I made.
I made cake balls instead of cake pops and they were an absolute hit. My uncle Craig took a bunch home with him because he loved them so much.
DE982113-A3AC-4FE0-8248-E28A90B292CD.jpeg

EFE4BB5A-A2BB-4085-A427-14C223AECB72.jpeg

I made some pumpkin spice loaf cakes that turned out delicious. I iced them and added some sprinkles. There were a total of ten of these.
6E4C5A34-60AA-46E7-A982-133F4C39DB43.jpeg

I also made no bake peanut butter balls, brownie bites, marshmallow pops, peppermint bark, orange chocolate bark, chocolate covered peanuts, peanut butter no bake cookies, sweet and salty chocolate bites, molasses cookies and sugar cookies.
E8AD82DB-12EF-4C78-865F-2F2BEAE8730D.jpeg

0A764AB3-A740-4BED-924E-4FF107BA1FBB.jpeg

D0F42ECD-64B0-4D8D-97BE-25EB2167760A.jpeg

These sugar cookies had cinnamon vanilla icing:
0DE16FA6-55EF-453A-BEE3-46A094C2AA89.jpeg

The Christmas trees had orange icing and the back of the cookie was dipped in chocolate:
B1A5D675-291F-417A-9A74-CFCB1D8EBA79.jpeg

These have peppermint icing and the back dipped in chocolate:
F11E17A2-DC6C-48DC-AB1F-4B27FBFC5E0E.jpeg

The snowmen were my favorite. The icing is just vanilla flavored but I love how they turned out:
53878630-C559-4320-BCDF-35F3046EC5E4.jpeg

Reaction score
Wow, what a fantastic assortment of treats! :) :) :) How long did they all take to do?!

The sugar cookies and molasses cookies I baked nearly a month before hand and froze them. They tasted fantastic after being thawed and it saved me a lot of time.
The no bake peanut butter balls and brownie bites I made and froze maybe two weeks before the party. As for the others, I made myself a schedule and in the four days before the party I got them all done. It was a lot of work but definitely worth it as everyone loved it all.

Reaction score
I think the prettiest cake was Becky's cake (Of course, after icing). Why do you have to start this job sooner for baking Becky?

Thanks! :) Fruit cakes are often baked well in advance because you can feed them with alcohol and allow the flavours to mature. The result is a much richer, tastier cake.

Ask a Question