Coconut Pie/Cake

Reaction score
This Sunday my grandma made something she called coconut pie. However, it was not really a pie. There was no crust. I would say it was more cake-like, but not quite. It was deliscious, whatever it was! The recipe came from an old handmade cookbook. She said the Children's Hospital was selling them a long time ago. Well, I decided to share it because this recipe is too good not to! It seems old fashioned to me, definitely savory. I wish I had gotten a picture before it was all eaten. I guess I give credit to Beth Hogan, as I think she shared the recipe for the book.

Sarah's Coconut Pie

2 C sugar
1/2 C Self Rising Flour
1 Stick Butter, melted
4 Eggs
2 C Milk
2 C Coconut

1. Add sugar and flour, mix well to avoid lumps.

2. Add the melted butter and then the eggs (One at a time) Stir.

3. Stir in milk and coconut

4. Mix all ingredients by hand and pour mixture into 10 inch Pyrex dish.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing! This recipe sounds delicous and fairly easy to make! No crust?! Very cool! Less calories that way (haha! yea right!) I love coconut so I'm sure this will be a hit with my family! You could even drizzle some chocolate over top of it if you wanted! Chocolate and coconut always go together in my book! :)

Reaction score
I also thank you for sharing this recipe. This one sounds delicious. I like the idea of drizzling chocolate over the top. Another idea is to add whipped cream or Cool Whip on top of the pie. My personal preference is whipped cream. I may be old-fashioned but I like to beat the cream myself. It tastes so much better than Cool Whip.

Reaction score
Chocolate sounds like an awesome addition to this recipe! While I was eating the pie, I kept thinking it would be great to have a little slice with coffee. This is not the pie, but this is the closest thing I can find on the internet. See how the filling on this looks soft and creamy? That is similar to what this bake looks like. However, my bake has better golden color throughout it, a bit of thickness without being a cake, and no crust. I really hate myself for not getting a picture, because this dessert is too hard to describe!

Coconut%2BCustard%2BPie%2B1%2B-%2BCountry%2BBaking%2BTreasury.JPG

Ask a Question