Help with preventing burnt bottoms on cookie sheets

Reaction score
Good day, I am new here so please bare with me. Not sure if I am in the right topic.
My cookie sheet has had its day and I cant find the correct size for my oven ( I need a bigger one!) The two trays which came with the oven are perfect but they burn the bottoms of the cookies, biscuits, scones etc. Is there something I can put on the sheet to prevent it getting so hot?
I live in South Africa so dont always have the same products. Hope this is not a stupid question.
Thanks
Mrs Mosey

Reaction score
Hello and welcome! :)

Have you tried calibrating your oven recently? All you need to do is get an oven thermometer and check whether it tallies with what the oven is set at. It may be that your oven is too hot.

You can always line baking trays with baking paper, that will insulate what you're baking a little. If paper is not enough then you could try silicone mats - they have the added benefit of being reusable and easy to clean.

Reaction score
Good day, I am new here so please bare with me. Not sure if I am in the right topic.
My cookie sheet has had its day and I cant find the correct size for my oven ( I need a bigger one!) The two trays which came with the oven are perfect but they burn the bottoms of the cookies, biscuits, scones etc. Is there something I can put on the sheet to prevent it getting so hot?
I live in South Africa so dont always have the same products. Hope this is not a stupid question.
Thanks
Mrs Mosey

Not a stupid question at all. As @Becky explain it’s important to use an oven thermometer to ensure the oven is at the correct temperature.

If the baking trays are made of dark metal, or have a non-stick coating, or made from anodized aluminum your have to reduce the oven by 25°F. So if the recipe instructions state baking at 350°F (180°C) reduce the temperature to 325°F (160°C).

Since you cannot find the correct size baking sheet, try placing the empty second sheet on the rack below. The empty pan will help defuse the heat.

If your oven only has one rack, try placing the second sheet directly under the sheet you are baking on. This is referred to as double panning. But it works best with light colored natural metal and rimmed sheets.

Larger baking sheets are difficult to find. Try a restaurant supply store as they stock large pans designed for high production.

Reaction score
Thank you, you have been most helpful. My oven is spot on as nothig else burns and yes the pans are dark metal which I think gets too hot. I will try and double pan and lower the heat ~ this makes sense.
Thanks again
Mrs Mosey

Ask a Question