Cooking meringue in a gas oven

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an issue when it comes to cooking meringue in my gas oven. No matter how low I set the temperature (celsius - doesn't have gas marks), the meringue will always burn on the bottom before it can even begin to cook on the top. I've tried putting the tray as high as I can and another tray low down to try reduce upward heat. Any suggestions as to how I can cook it more evenly, that doesn't involve buying more oven trays as heat barriers?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an issue when it comes to cooking meringue in my gas oven. No matter how low I set the temperature (celsius - doesn't have gas marks), the meringue will always burn on the bottom before it can even begin to cook on the top. I've tried putting the tray as high as I can and another tray low down to try reduce upward heat. Any suggestions as to how I can cook it more evenly, that doesn't involve buying more oven trays as heat barriers?

Thanks!

Are your trays dark metal and or coated with non-stick coating? Dark metal and a coded metal trays conduct heat very intensely. You have to reduce the temperature by 15°F - 25°F (5°C – 10°C). So if you’re baking 225°F (105°C), reduce to 215°F (100°C) or slightly lower.

But dark metal trays are absolutely the worst to bake in because they conduct heat too intensely. They over bake everything. I will not use dark colored metal baking pans at all. They were always over brown everything.

You can also try double sheeting. Place a second cookie sheet underneath your baking sheet. This will provide an air pocket between the two baking sheets.

Are you lining the trays will a silicone mat?

If so, switch to parchment paper. Silicone mat absorb heat.

Meringue is given to browning, that’s why it’s baked at such a low temperature. But you also need to bake it on a light colored metal baking sheet and on parchment paper.

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks!

I let the pilot light do the drying, leave overnite and it should be dry the next day.
Crack oven door very slightly open to allow moisture to escape.

Ask a Question