Crumbling Cake

Reaction score
Hi all!

Today I attempted my first double layer cake. I can bake desserts like brownies, bars & cookies but cakes/cupcakes have always been a challenge for me. I weighed all the ingredients for the cake instead of using the scoop & level method. My two 9 inch cakes cracked terribly and one split right down the middle as I was moving it. I pulled them out of their pans while they were still warm so they could cool on the cooling rack - was this the fatal error? I was able to piece it back together so it wasn't a total loss but I'd like to attempt it again soon. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
You should always wait for the cake to get completely cold before removing it from the pan, that is what I do and my cakes turn out fine. You should also wait until it's cool before spreading the icing or ''cutting'' the top half of the cake (to add icing in the middle). The cake must be completely cold in order to be able to do those things safely :)

Reaction score
I am a newbie of sorts but I agree with Trellum. I have read that you should allow time for cooling so that just might be the problem. I saw crumbly cake and actually thought it was the name of cake. Welcome to the forum Corrina22.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Agreed, leave it to cool before taking the cake out of the tins.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Reaction score
Crumbling cake still sounds so much like a cake I decided to Google it and while I have not come up with a "crumbling cake" I found some things that you could do with a crumbled cake. This is in no way suggesting you get comfortable with your cakes crumbling:). Yet it's good to know how to convert.
http://www.sortrachen.com/7-recipes-to-make-with-leftovercrumbled-cakes/

Cake balls are the best! I love making them - and it takes some of the stress out of making that perfect looking cake, because all you're going to do is crumble it all up in the end anyhow!

It's one of my go-to things to make when I don't want to stress out about presentation - they're nice and simple!

Reaction score
Because I am so new to baking from scratch I did not have a clue about cake balls but it does sound like a fun thing to do. I guess it's still different if you set out to make them as opposed to when you have a potential fail and you use it as part of the recovery process.

Reaction score
Yes, make sure it's cool before removing from the pans. Put the pans on cooling racks so they can cool faster, if you're in a hurry, and be sure to grease/flour the pans well to start with, so removing them will be easier. If it happens again, just use the crumbled cake to make a trifle, layer the pieces in a glass bowl, alternating with a complementary flavor of pudding and fresh, frozen or canned (drained) fruit and whipped cream. Or, you can make cake balls, as suggested above. Cake tastes great, regardless of how it looks!

Ask a Question