What is the Standard Cupcake Size? Need Help!

Ang

Reaction score
I trying to start making my own cupcakes for fun. It started by seeing a cupcake maker online. Basically what size should I be getting. As the ones online 9/10 are mini cupcakes, I don't want that. There's a large size but doesn't state the actual size and I bought a cupcake container holder which holds them individually but the hole looks about 2 inches or just under, so I'm thinking they wouldn't hold large cupcakes anyway!. So I'm asking should I bother with a cupcake maker, or just use oven and what IS the standard size of a cupcake? I'm in the UK so things may vary over here. I know I don't want muffin size cupcakes but a bit smaller. But I'm so new to this. Thanks guys.

Ang

Reaction score
I trying to start making my own cupcakes for fun. It started by seeing a cupcake maker online. Basically what size should I be getting. As the ones online 9/10 are mini cupcakes, I don't want that. There's a large size but doesn't state the actual size and I bought a cupcake container holder which holds them individually but the hole looks about 2 inches or just under, so I'm thinking they wouldn't hold large cupcakes anyway!. So I'm asking should I bother with a cupcake maker, or just use oven and what IS the standard size of a cupcake? I'm in the UK so things may vary over here. I know I don't want muffin size cupcakes but a bit smaller. But I'm so new to this. Thanks guys.
Oh and do I need a high powered stand mixer or is 400 watts enough for cakes

Reaction score
Well, it depends on what size cupcakes you WANT to make.

If you like the bite sized ones, then I would suggest getting the small cupcake maker.

If you like the regular or large sized cupcakes, then I would suggest just using regular cupcake or muffin tins and baking in the oven.

Personally, if you already have the tins, then forget wasting money on a cupcake maker.

And no, you don't need a high powered mixer unless you are going into the cupcake business.
A simple hand mixer is fine. Although stand mixers are better for making buttercream frostings.....I've worn out a couple of hand mixers that way!!! LOL

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @Ang! :)

To be honest, I would avoid a cupcake maker if I were you. It's far better to get a cupcake tin and bake them in the oven. Modern 'cupcakes' are the same size as muffins (you would use the same sized cases). I tend to think of a cupcake as something that is iced, and a muffin as something that is not. Next size down is fairy cakes - this is the size that cupcakes used to be in the olden days. Then smallest of all are mini-cupcakes.

It depends on what recipe you are using, but generally the standard size of cupcakes nowadays is the large, muffin-sized ones. Best to check what the recipe says though!

Reaction score
fairy cakes? I love learning new words Becky :),smaller than a scone,but taller than a biscuit ?

am i close ? :)

sorry I am no help

Reaction score
This photo illustrates the difference in sizes quite well I think:

sizes.jpg

Large = muffin/US-style cupcake, Small = Fairy cake, Mini = Mini cupcakes/muffins

Reaction score
Here's a size chart for the cupcakes if you need a size ratio--

1-1 1/2 inch across the bottom is a mini-cupcake or a "bite sized" cupcake

2 - 2 1/2 inch across the bottom is a standard/regular sized cupcake

3 inch + across the bottom are muffin sized or large sized cupcakes

And for the sake of references........anything larger than 4 inches across is not a cupcake, it is a mini-cake.

I really hate these people who make cakes shaped like cupcakes and call it a "giant cupcake". There is NO such thing as a "giant cupcake". You either have a cupcake or you have a cake.....PERIOD.

Ask a Question