Danish Pumpernickel

Reaction score
I attempted to bake some Danish pumpernickel bread this morning... and it did not go well!

The recipe I was following is from Scandilicious Baking by Signe Johansen, and it was quite unusual in that it asks you to make a flour paste first and then add melted butter/syrup/yeast. When I made the paste it would not come together with the amount of water, so I added more water until it did. I think that may be where my problems stemmed from - the paste is meant to be stiff, so I think I made it too wet.

I left the dough to prove overnight, and baked it this morning - and it was dough in the middle :( I left it waaay longer than it said to, but it would not dry out.

Anyone here ever baked bread that required a flour paste first?

Reaction score
I'm not all that good with bread making.........but the only recipes I've ever seen that called for anything being made outside the regular dough was the starter for Sourdough.

Never heard of making a paste first.
Must be his invention.

Ask a Question