Desserts with long shelf lives?

Reaction score
Hi there! I have a cool pizza shop / cafe in China and we have our own pastry room. We put out a bunch of cakes in a fridge at our register that have about a 3 day shelf life and they do well. We also have quite a bit of counter space for non-refrigerated items. In the past we tried croissants and breads that only had a 1 day shelf life and the wastage was high.

Looking to you for some other ideas of items that do not require refrigeration but can be kept in a glass container for maybe as long as a week.

I’m attaching a picture for you of the up front display. The brownies don’t sell so well but last about 4 days. The cupcakes are actually fake moulds and the real ones are kept in an air tight container in the back.

Matt

Attachments

• E78CD1BC-2A26-4BCE-B1C4-FABAC25909DF.jpeg
    E78CD1BC-2A26-4BCE-B1C4-FABAC25909DF.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 773
Reaction score
Hi there! I have a cool pizza shop / cafe in China and we have our own pastry room. We put out a bunch of cakes in a fridge at our register that have about a 3 day shelf life and they do well. We also have quite a bit of counter space for non-refrigerated items. In the past we tried croissants and breads that only had a 1 day shelf life and the wastage was high.

Looking to you for some other ideas of items that do not require refrigeration but can be kept in a glass container for maybe as long as a week.

I’m attaching a picture for you of the up front display. The brownies don’t sell so well but last about 4 days. The cupcakes are actually fake moulds and the real ones are kept in an air tight container in the back.

Matt

Hello Matthew, you have a very nice cafe, very elegant for a pizza cafe.

Unfortunately a week long shelf-life without refrigeration really limits your options.

Fruitcake – months under ideal storage conditions

Shortbread up to 4 weeks

Biscotti up to 4 weeks

Baklava up to 2 weeks

Chocolate caramel shortbread bars 7 - 10 days

Ginger cookies 7 - 10 days

Chocolate chip up to 7 days

Sables Breton up to 5 days

Adding an emulsifier like mono-and diglycerides or sodium stearoyl lactylate will extend shelf-life, but it won't change the need for refrigeration.

Since you have designated space for pastry production, have you considered confections? If your shop is air conditioned you should have no trouble storing sweets like chocolates, caramels, candied nuts and fruits, and Turkish Delights for several weeks.

Ask a Question