Do you bake your pizza with a pizza stone, wood fired oven, or a pizza oven?

Reaction score
Alton Brown said you can get some cheap terra cotta tiles from the hardware stores for a couple bucks a piece and put them in your oven as a pizza stone. The down side to that method though is they tend to break easily - but at the same time they are cheap. In addition to a pizza stone, there are also pizza steels out now, which don't break. I've seen some good reviews of them too.

Personally we don't use any of them, we just crank the oven up to like 500 degrees. I will sometimes cook one side of the dough first then flip it onto a cutting board and top it with the sauce and toppings, and put it back in the oven to finish cooking the rest of the way through.

Reaction score
I can't even express how much I would absolutely LOVE a wood fire oven....maybe someday we'll have one ;). For now we have a pizza stone though, and it does get the job done, comes out nice consistently.

Reaction score
A wood fired pizza oven will be ideal for getting that authentic flavor when baking pizza, but these could be pretty expensive costing you thousands of dollars to buy, assemble, and install. I like the pizza stone because gives you the versatility of baking in an oven or on your backyard grill. The pizza oven is small, compact and portable but I find that some of them can be on the pricey side. So what equipment do you prefer to make your pizza: a pizza stone, wood fired oven, or a pizza oven?
A wood fired oven would be great, but I love my pizza stone. It works just fine for me. I can't see investing in an oven unless I had a business.

Reaction score
I cook my pizza in a pizza oven. I brought it from Walmart at an affordable price. A pizza oven gives my pizza a lot of flavor. I cook pizzas for my family on the weekends.

Reaction score
I'd love to have a real pizza oven and my husband has promised he'd make one for outside baking, but his list is a bit big at the minute. There's nothing better than the authentic flavor of a stone baked Mexican pizza with extra chili.

Reaction score
I bake my pizza in my smaller oven in my stove. I just throw them on the rack (frozen ones). They come out nice and crisp and bubbly. I also cook home made pizza in the small oven, but it's always in a cast iron pan.

I would love to have a wood fired oven in my kitchen but it sure isn't going to happen where I live now. Maybe in the future :)

Reaction score
There's no substitute for a true wood-burning oven. Charcoal works decently, but you won't get the same smokey flavour or even cooking. It shouldn't be difficult to build a brick over in your backyard, and you can use it for more than just pizza!

Reaction score
I use a pizza stone to cook my pizzas. I have also done pizza on the outdoor grill with good success. I just put the pizza on tinfoil then onto the grill. We love the slightly smokey taste the pizza gets.

Reaction score
I usually bake our pizza in the regular oven but have thought about making one over a charcoal grill. The thought of it sounds so good. I am not sure how it would turn out and all. I have tried one over a gas grill and it was not that bad.

Reaction score
A wood fired pizza oven will be ideal for getting that authentic flavor when baking pizza, but these could be pretty expensive costing you thousands of dollars to buy, assemble, and install. I like the pizza stone because gives you the versatility of baking in an oven or on your backyard grill. The pizza oven is small, compact and portable but I find that some of them can be on the pricey side. So what equipment do you prefer to make your pizza: a pizza stone, wood fired oven, or a pizza oven?
I love my baking stone, and not just for pizza! ATK has a recipe for turkey that calls for a baking stone that is simply awesome. I’ll never make turkey another way! As far as cleaning the stone, I’ve never had to. When I bake bread or pizza on it, I always use parchment paper. It just makes everything less of a hassle!

Reaction score
I was given a Pampered Chef pizza stone (and a TON of their other stonewear) years ago by my MIL. We use the pizza stone for pizzas all the time - it's well seasoned and works great!

I use a rubber scraper to get stuck on bits when cleaning it - works really well.

I've always wanted to try a pizza on the grill - will have to do that this summer.

I've also gotten a real pizza peel (for my birthday) and haven't had a chance to use it yet but SOON!

Reaction score
I've also gotten a real pizza peel (for my birthday) and haven't had a chance to use it yet but SOON!

Ooh exciting! Let us know how you get on with it. I'm tempted to get a short-handled one, but I don't know if I make pizzas often enough for it to be worth it.

Reaction score
A pizza stone since I live in an apartment but I had the opportunity to also try baking in a wood fired oven and it was the most amazing thing. Completely different.

LSY

Reaction score
Tried pizza stone but the bottom didn't crisp up as i wanted. So far the best result i had was heat up an oven proof pan on the stove top, assemble your pizza then transfer it to a preheated oven on broiler mode. Broil until pizza is puffed and charred in spots. Return to stove top until the bottom is charred in spots.

Ask a Question