Do you ever skip the vanilla extract?

Reaction score
If I have no vanilla, I just use a different extract like almond or lemon.
I don't completely omit adding flavoring because I feel like it's in the recipe for a reason.

Reaction score
I sometimes do, but never on purpose. I think the brand of vanilla i use isn't the best money can buy, but I do notice a great difference when I don't add it to my desserts! Specially those desserts that require no or very little baking :)

Reaction score
But the vanilla is the best part! If you really can't taste it, I suspect the problem is with the brand of vanilla you're using. Try one of the brands like Nielsen Massey... personally I like their vanilla bean paste best. I made some vanilla wafers with that once that had people literally drooling.

Amazing! I hope I can get that brand in the country where I'll be living! That would be wonderful, I can imagine all the things I could add that vanilla paste to! Sounds like a wonderful way to add extra vanilla flavor to more desserts and baked goods.

Reaction score
I had never tried to skip the use of vanilla in my recipes that needs it. Vanilla Extract or Vanilla Powder really do wonders and give an essence of different taste even only a drop, half teaspoon or a pinch or whatever it is required in a recipe.

Reaction score
I skip it quite often and I don't really notice it. I adapt a lot of my baking to what I have and what looks healthy and as long as the fats and liquids are balanced that's what matters to me.

Reaction score
There have been times when I have omitted putting vanilla in recipes and have not noticed a difference. I'm wondering if the vanilla is really needed in most recipes? I know sometimes you can switch the vanilla with almond extract but what if you don't have either on hand?
I like the vanilla too! I would never skip it! I think it adds so much! I always use only real vanilla and never imitation. And, my daughter found information on the internet that vanilla extract is just vanilla beans in vodka anyway so she has made some for me to use and I am now using my own home made!

Reaction score
The only times I have skipped on the vanilla extract is when I have run out of it and yes I have noticed a difference. But there is also a considerable difference between the cheap stuff (nasty) and the really nice stuff and it is not just an effect on the wallet.

I also try to keep vanilla pods available, but they seem to perish too quickly for my liking.

Reaction score
I've never skipped it, mainly because I love vanilla so much. I would swap it out with another flavor if I had none at home. I tend to keep several different extract flavors around, so would probably replace it with maple or almond, if I ran out of vanilla.

Reaction score
I'm with Diane. I've never skipped it because I love it - though I do put less in then the recipe calls for. Or more, depending on size. As my art teacher told me growing up (in reference to glue) is "A little dab will do ya." - same thing for extract. Even by lessening the recommended amount you can make a richer taste of it since it isn't so overpowering. I even use bits in tea.

Ask a Question