Ever Added Something on a Whim and Had it Turn Out Great?

Reaction score
I once was baking some Baker's One Bowl Brownies, and on a whim, I exchanged the milk for irish Baileys and the vanilla for mint. And it came out AMAZING tasting. My Dad usually never touches brownies, and he ending up eating three of them!

Have you ever added something to a recipe on a whim? Did it turn out great? Did it turn out bad?

Reaction score
Ooh Kitty...those brownies sound so good!
I almost always add something while mixing up a batter or a dough.
My best additions have been powdered milk to anything and unsweetened lemonade mix to anything that has a lemon flavor or lends itself to loving lemon (like blueberry, raspberry, etc).
I believe that improvisation in baking is the best part of baking.

Reaction score
I always add things, especially when I am out of an ingredient or it is too expensive. Buttermilk is what I omit the most because I don't use it often. As a substitutuin I use milk and vinegar and you can't tell the difference.

Reaction score
I usually add some "hidden greens" into my batters such as brownies or maybe a chocolate cake. I got this idea from Pinterest and because I have picky kids that won't eat veggies otherwise. You don't see and/or taste the veggies because they are so tiny of pieces.

Reaction score
Yes I have added buttersccotch chips to my oatmeal raisin cookies. They turned out great and everyone loved them.

Reaction score
I'm notorious for this kind of thing- usually I'll have my husband and son try them before I reveal what my secret ingredients are, because if I say them they may get hesitant, but if they try them first it's always a big hit, go figure ;). I've added in veggies before, mixed some spices and extracts in unique ways, switch out butter and coconut or vanilla almond milk in certain situations...all kinds of tinkering.

Reaction score
This is something that i have done repeatedly..and that's what the kitchen is for,experimenting on creative and innovative ideas...how else are we going to know if it's a award winning recipe we've created! :p

Reaction score
Oh wow, I'm going to have to try Baileys in my next brownie batch!

Last summer I was practising using a piping bag by making tiny meringues. I decided to melt some chocolate and add it to my master mix. As meringues they were total failures, but if I pretended they were meant to be soufflés, then I was an accidental mastermind.

Reaction score
Nothing major, I just add cinnamon when I make hot cocoa from scratch or throw random leftover chocolate and toffee candies into my cookies and brownies. I'm not that experimental.

Ask a Question