Extract Substitution

Reaction score
I have a cookie recipe I make all the time. I normally use almond or vanilla extract in them. I ran out the other day and didn't realize till I was in the middle of making my cookies. I looked it up on Google, what can you substitute for extract; but, I didn't really find much. I tried adding almond milk and a little extra sugar but it didn't do anything for the flavor of the cookie and messed with the cooked times. Needless to say, they didn't turn out well. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good substitute for extracts.

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the reply. I was thinking more something I would have on hand. I'm not much of a drinker and I don't keep it in the house. You also posted on my post about cake flavors to try. I'm a vanilla girl too. Did you mean I should do one layer pink lemonade and the next strawberry?

Reaction score
I never have liquor either, but I know it can be used in lieu of extracts.
Regarding the cake, I did mean a strawberry layer, a vanilla layer and a pink lemonade layer. I think the flavors would go nicely together.
If you want to go all citrus, you could do pink lemonade, blood orange and pink grapefruit (very unexpected!).

Reaction score
I never have liquor either, but I know it can be used in lieu of extracts.
Regarding the cake, I did mean a strawberry layer, a vanilla layer and a pink lemonade layer. I think the flavors would go nicely together.
If you want to go all citrus, you could do pink lemonade, blood orange and pink grapefruit (very unexpected!).

That sounds so good.I am going to do this, the citrus one. I'll probably going to use vanilla frosting. I think the white chocolate would be to much. But, I'm so excited. I never thought to do gapefruit. I didn't even know I could.

Reaction score
That sounds so good. You can but grapefruit extract, but I would use frozen grapefruit juice concentrate to flavor the cake, along with some fresh grapefruit zest.

Reaction score
Definitely fruit juice, and zest if you have it. If you're putting in something already sweetened, like lemonade, you might want to put less sugar or omit the sugar altogether, so that it doesn't get too teeth-rottingly sweet. How about lime? I don't think anyone's suggested lime yet. Sure they're small but they're tasty.

Reaction score
I was just reading about skipping vanilla extract in another thread and then stumbled on this one. I honestly don't think there is anything I would like to substitute for vanilla extract but it's still useful information.

I always have it on hand so much so I have wondered if it ever goes back.

Reaction score
I am always using vanilla extract for my baking like cookies and I had not yet substitute other extract for this purpose. Will have to try what was mentioned here. Thank you guys :)

Reaction score
I've never run out of extract entirely, since I usually have several flavors on hand, so I would probably substitute one for another, maybe maple for vanilla, or strawberry, depending on what I was baking. I never thought of swapping out juice concentrate or zest, but those are good ideas that I'll have to keep in mind for the future, just in case. I did run out of one extract during my Christmas baking, and substituted another.

Ask a Question