Fondant Problems

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been having some issues with fondant; want to know if you guys are experiencing something similar also.

Satin Ice was recommended to me, bought it and the first time, it was challenging to say the least, got many problems when applying the fondant to the cake, it crack and separate. I decided to give it another try and was even worst... gave me elephant skin as soon as I pull and begin handling. Any suggestions or recommendation

Thanks

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

Maybe try a different brand?! If it feels dry you could always spray it with a little water.

Reaction score
I usually use Tesco own brand ready-roll icing, but I think that's only available in the UK. Where are you?

Reaction score
Terry,

Here is some information from the Satin Ice company:

• We do not recommend using very much corn starch or shortening for handling the product. Both these products can alter the fondant and make it difficult to work with.

• If you find that your Satin Ice is dry or cracking when put on your cake, we would recommend additional kneading time. It is very important to knead the fondant until it is warm to reactivate the gums. This will help to increase elasticity and reduce cracking.

• If you prefer to use shortening when kneading the fondant, use a small amount on your hands and don't add any directly into the fondant. Also, if you prefer to use corn starch, add only a small amount on the surface that you roll the fondant out on.

Basic Tips
  • Make sure your surface tools & hands are clean and dry
  • Work fast to keep fondant pliable-wrap & seal fondant that’s not in use
  • Don’t forget to knead, knead, knead
  • Use cornstarch & confectioners sugar to make a non-stick surface
  • Roll out to about 1/8” thick
  • Use a firm mix (like pound cake) & avoid ultra moists
  • Store fondant at room temperature (but put chocolate in the fridge)
  • Crumb-coat your cake & chill in the fridge

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hi, I used to have the same problem with satin ice. I don't know if it was the brand or just that i was relatively new to cake decorating myself. Now that i have some experience with fondant here are some tips. I prefer the wilton fondant (I used to hate it but since there new recipe came out i found that it works best). as the person above mentioned warming and needing your fondant is important. i have a glass topped table that i clean first then spread crisco out on top of. Then i file the fondant out to the size want. the benefit of crisco over cornstarch is its much less drying. unfortunately for bigger i\pieces i find i have to leave the fondant thicker in order to be able to pick it p without ripping because the crisco makes the fondant softer. something i read recently but have not had a chance to try is buying two sheets of velum plastic and rolling the fondant between that. the idea is when your done rolling you can just pick the velum up, flip it on top of the cake for easier transfer. time is essential with fondant leaving any fondant out too long will cause the elephant skin. I also recommend once you put it on the cake message it on and cut off the excess but leave a good 1inch for shrinkage as it dries. as the person above said it is very important to ut a crumb coat on your cake as well. hope you find this helpful. good luck!

Reaction score
Not a fan of Satin Ice. I prefer in this order

1. Fat Daddio Pro Series
  • soft out of the container
  • easy to knead
  • easy to roll
  • doesn't develop many air bubbles
  • takes color beautifully
  • best if rolled at 3/16" to 1/4" thick
2. Pettinice
  • One of the best tasting as far as fondant goes
  • soft out of the container
  • easy to knead
  • easy to roll
  • takes color beautifully
  • Made an excellent 50-50 blend with Fat Daddio's gumpaste
  • best if rolled at 3/16" to 1/4" thick
3. Carma Massa Ticino
  • preferred brand of high end cake decorators, especially for wedding cakes as it was specifically developed to withstand higher temperatures and humidity
  • a little firmer out of the container then the two brands mentioned above
  • nothing I have used rolls out as thin as this brand
  • nothing I have used rolls out and drapes like this brand
  • nothing I have used stays smooth like this brand
  • nothing I have used was this elephant skin like this brand
  • nothing I have used was this elephant skin like this brand because
So why is Carma Masa not my favorite brand?
1. the price it's--astronomically expensive
2. because it is formulated to resist humidity the ph is not compatible to dyes with red in them. So dying red, some purples, some blues can be an issue.

Callebaut chocolate recently acquired a company called Mona Lisa. Mona Lisa manufacturers products for the pastry arts. In November 2016 they introduced a rolled fondant. This fondant is supposed to be exceptional. Unfortunately trying to get your hands on Mona Lisa fondant is currently impossible. The owner of my local cake decorating supply store told me she has discussed the Mona Lisa fondant with her distributor. Because it is currently packaged with both white and chocolate fondant, she has decided not to carry it. Understandably since most people use and want the versatility of white fondant.

Searches online have proved futile. The chefs warehouse, a national distributor, listed on their website. However they have it labeled out of stock. This is one fondant I want to get my hands on.

All of professional cake decorator's are talking about it, but no one seems to know where to get it. I'm beginning to wonder if it's a corporate distribution issue.

I sent an email to both Callbaut and Mona Lisa inquiring about where it can be purchased. That was two months ago and I have yet to receive a response. Oddly they have a Facebook page that is up to date.

Link to their site for anyone interested.

http://www.monalisadecorations.com/en/fondant

Ask a Question