Working with fondant/buttercream icing

Reaction score
Hi, obviously I am new and looking for a quick suggestion. The party is tomorrow. I have a frozen cake in refrigerator, it's iced with buttercream frosting, could use a little touch up. I have fondant decorations that still need to be applied. Since it is a round cake, I am leery to put on at the last minute. Wanting the pieces to "wrap" the cake, since i will not have time to make them the day of, and not wanting them to dry out..... if, I pull cake out now to decorate it, will the consensation from being frozen, affect the fondant pieces? Should I get up earlier tomorrow morning to make the pieces? Should I leave cake in refrigerator to do it? or should I take it out of refrigeratior now and let it sit for a while, covered? I work today in about 4 hours and at a stand still. I am doing this for a friend and want to do a really good job, please help :)

Reaction score
Hi, obviously I am new and looking for a quick suggestion. The party is tomorrow. I have a frozen cake in refrigerator, it's iced with buttercream frosting, could use a little touch up. I have fondant decorations that still need to be applied. Since it is a round cake, I am leery to put on at the last minute. Wanting the pieces to "wrap" the cake, since i will not have time to make them the day of, and not wanting them to dry out..... if, I pull cake out now to decorate it, will the consensation from being frozen, affect the fondant pieces? Should I get up earlier tomorrow morning to make the pieces? Should I leave cake in refrigerator to do it? or should I take it out of refrigeratior now and let it sit for a while, covered? I work today in about 4 hours and at a stand still. I am doing this for a friend and want to do a really good job, please help :)

Water will disintegrate the fondant. Fondant decorations can only be put on the buttercream when it is close to room temperature and there’s no condensation on the buttercream

Ask a Question