Fudge advice please

Reaction score
please can someone help me. Fudge. I’ve tried about 7 recipes. From Jamie Oliver, Nigella to nestle etc…. I’ve found one perfect taste happy with the ingredients. Says let it reach 120 degrees then take off heat and beat with electric whisker. 120 is bit higher that all recipes (soft ball stage 116) but all the same it’s like a ribbon when I start pouring it in but very quickly starts become fudgy so I end up pushing it in resulting in a lumpy gravel road look. The fudge turns out delicious and the sugar grains not too grainy but if I cut it it crumbles. Apparently I’ve cooked it too long …but how do I cook it for less time if I’m waiting for it to get to soft ball stage. Then I’m stirring too much or whisking once it’s off the heat…fine but I’m supposed to whisk it to ribbon like ‘drapes’ when pulling wooden spoon out (hope you understand this) and supposed to whisk until the glossy look has gone. Too runny too thin beat to long not enough. I need to sell this so they have to be reliable! Please can you help.

Reaction score
I think something is a miss with the instructions......
in my experiences you should add your syrup to the chocolate base (chocolate, butter, marshmallows etc.)
DO NOT STIR and allow to cool to about 43 degrees C, then beat it, beat it hard and well until it looses it's shine, and begins to thicken.
Let cool completely and your good.. this is all about crystal growth control.

You can take out insurance by adding say two tablespoons corn syrup to the mixture to protect against a grainy finished product.

Crumbly fudge is usually either, not enough syrup or syrup with too high a temp, or lastly bad temp control when re-crystalizing the chocolate sugar mixture. I would double check the accuracy of your thermometer and always use on that is submerged in the syrup. inferred thermometer are great for some things not for most syrup construction.

Cheers,
M.

Reaction score
Thank you! Just a question… when you say allow to cool completely do I only cut it then?
I hope it helps..... Apologies for the lack of clarification. "Cool" was not the totally correct word.
Short answer Yes...

After beating your fudge and placing into pans, molds, or simply shaping into a block, you must then allow the fudge to finish cooling to relative room temperature but most important is allowing the crystallization to finish working completely.
Candy makers often call this step "Ripening" Many fondant (creme) centers for chocolates require several days to totally ripen before they are at peak texture, and can often go through phases of hardness before reaching creamy smooth lusciousness.

Your recipe may need several hours after it has reached room temperature before it is ready to cut.

My personal favorite recipe for fudge takes a full 24 hours to achieve final texture. and starts out a bit stiff and almost dry like before it relaxes becomes perfectly creamy and ready to cut.

Cheers and please post follow up pictures and such,
M.

Last edited:
Reaction score
On general troubleshooting of small batches of candy (I know scaling to make a 1/4 or 1/6 size batch) seems so attractive, saves money, less potential waste if things do not work.... this is semi-dangerous
In my experiences having such a small amounts of ingredients and cooking such small amounts of sugar syrups is very difficult at times.
As an old candy maker once told me. "1 degree and 1 minute is the difference between smokey caramel and a pot of burnt sugar soup"

using heavy walled pots makes sense with full size batches but less so when working at small scale,
I find a thin walled (cheat ) pot that looses heat quickly is my best friend when dealing with less than 12 0z of syrup
and try using a heat diffuser like a small cast iron pan on the burner and set your pot inside the pan.
With this setup I usually only get .5 degrees of heat increase after removing my pot from the pan.
This has helped greatly in keeping my syrup at target temperature.

1677250544215.png

Cheers,
M.

Ask a Question