"Easy" fudge recipe refuses to set no matter what I do

Reaction score
Hi, I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me some advice, because I'm at a loss for how to save this chocolate fudge I'm trying to make.

It was supposed to be an 'easy' fudge -- just melt chocolate into some condensed milk and chill overnight. Easy, right?

I made the condensed milk myself using whole milk, butter, and maple syrup. Once it had reduced to about a cup and a quarter I added around 275g of baker's chocolate. Basically melted to a runny liquid, so I added some chocolate chips I had around. Helped a bit, but it was still soup after chilling.

Read for help online. This time I boil the mixture, adding cream. Comes out like cake frosting.

Read more. Try again. I add icing sugar and boil for over ten minutes until the liquid's at the 'soft ball' stage. I remove from the heat, let it cool for 20 minutes, then whisk vigorously for another ten. Still does not set after hours in the freezer.

What have I done wrong? I've spent so much time sifting through contradictory advice on how to save runny fudge. Some people say to add cream, some people say to add icing sugar, some people say to add water, some people say to add nothing. Some say stir until it's thick, some say don't stir it or else it'll turn grainy. This has taken me all day and really defeats the purpose of trying an 'easy' recipe.

Note that I don't have a candy thermometer. The original recipe only called for melting the chocolate into the condensed milk, so I didn't foresee needing one.

Does anyone have a definitive, this-will-definitely-work way of getting something for my money and time? The fudge tastes how it should, it just will not firm up at all.

Reaction score
I would buy some condensed milk, start fresh and follow the directions.
I made a choc caramel that came out way too soft due to undercooking, it had the consistency of nutella.
I mixed 1 lb of soft butter into it and converted it to buttercream.
No sense throwing good money after bad.

Reaction score
I would buy some condensed milk, start fresh and follow the directions.
I made a choc caramel that came out way too soft due to undercooking, it had the consistency of nutella.
I mixed 1 lb of soft butter into it and converted it to buttercream.
No sense throwing good money after bad.

Thanks for your reply. I came to the same conclusion you did. After a final attempt to add more icing sugar, butter, and cream -- then boiling to almost the burning point -- the fudge came out almost right but still too soft to handle unaided. So I'm angrily eating it with a spoon.

My original plan was to buy some condensed milk, but my grocery store doesn't seem to carry any. I have a feeling, though, like you seem to, that this was probably where the problem arose. Do you happen to have a condensed milk method you find reliable? This might be a dumb question -- I'm a good cook but a terrible baker.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
The initial mistake was probably the maple syrup, you don't always know what they put in it.
Then compounded by adding more sugar which is like adding more liquid .
The recipe is just milk and sugar.
See this, I would let it go cold to check the texture , then use it.

Reaction score
The initial mistake was probably the maple syrup, you don't always know what they put in it.
Then compounded by adding more sugar which is like adding more liquid .
The recipe is just milk and sugar.
See this, I would let it go cold to check the texture , then use it.

Sorry for the late reply, the email notification got lost in my spam folder.

Yes, this is helpful advice. Many thanks! Will try again.

Ask a Question