Gelatin Problem

Reaction score
My recipe calls for 8g of gelatin sheets, but I can't find gelatin sheets and so have to use powder. How much powder do I use? Also, with gelatin sheets (the only form of gelatin I've ever used before), you have to pre-soak them. Do I need to do something similar with the powder? If so, won't it mess up the recipe by significantly increasing the volume??
Thanks for any help!!

Reaction score
My recipe calls for 8g of gelatin sheets, but I can't find gelatin sheets and so have to use powder. How much powder do I use? Also, with gelatin sheets (the only form of gelatin I've ever used before), you have to pre-soak them. Do I need to do something similar with the powder? If so, won't it mess up the recipe by significantly increasing the volume??
Thanks for any help!!

In the US, referring to powdered gelatin manufactured and packaged in the US...

1 (.25oz) envelope powdered gelatin = 1 tablespoon powdered gelatin = 3 sheets leaf gelatin.

My 3 gelatin sheets weigh 8g. So they equivalent of 1 (.25 oz) envelope of powdered gelatin.

In the US, the brand of gelatin is Knox. The bloom is equal to 225 or Gold.

Even though you can substitute powdered gelatin for leaf gelatin, The texture is not quite the same. Powdered gelatin produces a denser texture.

In the US you can purchase gelatin sheets online at:

Modernist Pantry

https://www.modernistpantry.com/search?q=gelatin+sheets

Olivenation

https://www.olivenation.com/gelatine-sheets.html

I’ve purchased gelatin sheets from both of these online stores.

How to use

-Sprinkle the granules of gelatin over the surface cold water or liquid in an even layer. DO NOT DUMP IT IN A PILE THE GELATIN IN A LUMP IN THE LIQUID. Use 60ml or amount indicated in the recipe.

-Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.

-Add warm liquid if recipe requires additional liquid or heat the liquid with the gelatin gently stirring until it dissolved. Lift the stirring utensil and swirl the liquid in the pan to make certain that there are no undissolved granules clinging to utensil or to the side of the pan.

Powdered gelatin must be heated to dissolve.

3 sheets of leaf gelatin weigh 8g. Which is The equivalent of 1 (.25 oz) powdered gelatin
51A73FBD-38E9-4B30-8A04-CDBF506B7649.jpeg

Ask a Question