German Apple cake

Reaction score
I made a German Apple cake this week, and here are some photos :)

German apple cake 1.jpg

German apple cake 2.jpg

The recipe was from 'Rick Stein's Long Weekends', but I wouldn't recommend it to be honest (this recipe, not the entire book). The top was delicious but the rest of the cake was too plain. I prefer apple cake with apple baked into the cake, so I'd probably add some chunks of apple to the batter if I do it again (in addition to the topping). Plus a bit of vanilla too.

Still, it was yummy with honeycomb ice-cream :D

Reaction score
I'm not "big" on apples, although I do eat them sometimes. My favorite are yellow apples.

From the looks of it, I'd have expected a glaze sauce to go on it. I would think a honey glaze would be really nice with that, or an apricot glaze.

As for the cake, I would expect the cake is "dull" to coincide with the sweet apples and cinnamon sugar (if thats what that is), as to not overwhelm the eater with sugar (like American desserts do).

From the looks of it, to spruce up the plain cake part, I would do either nut cake, raisin cake, apricot cake, or cinnamon cake to go with the apple topping.

Any way you slice it (ha ha), it looks REALLY YUMMIE!!!!!

It's a good thing you don't have me as a neighbor!!!!! Every time I smell food coming from your direction, I'd be at your front door with a fork!!!!! LOL

Reaction score
Yep, it's cinnamon sugar on top of the apples. I agree that a glaze would look lovely!

Ask a Question