German buttercream/ creme mousseline

Reaction score
Hello,

What is the preffered ratio of custard to butter, i have seen both 2 parts custard 1 part butter and as well as equal amounts of both.

Which is more preferable?

Thank you

Reaction score
theyre quite different,
german buttercream , or emergency buttercream, is not as good as mousseline and not as good as french buttercream.
Its not popular because its doesn't excell in either application.

Reaction score
My impression is that the term mousseline is used interchangeably with German buttercream. To me, the starch and dairy based buttercreams are far and away the most delicious and best textured-I also love ermine buttercream. I suspect that the higher amount of butter will be more stable-I often make an American hybrid-style buttercream, beating sifted powdered sugar to taste into the finished buttercream for stability and slightly more sweetness. If less sweetness is desired, you can add stability with a tablespoon or two per batch of instant clearjel/modified cornstarch(can use jello pudding mix if the flavor/color of the packaged mix isn't undesirable), remembering to still add small amount of confectioners sugar to instant clearjel and whisk together before adding to buttercream to avoid clumping.

Ask a Question