- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated grapefruit zest
- 1/2 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9-inch pans.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla and grapefruit zest. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the grapefruit juice and milk. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons of heavy cream or half-and-half
- 1 pound powdered sugar (about 3 to 4 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups grapefruit juice
- Begin by reducing the grapefruit juice. Place juice in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Allow to simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until juice thickens and becomes syrupy. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, cream, and powdered sugar with an electric mixer. Continue whipping, and slowly add grapefruit syrup, one tablespoon at a time, until you reach desired flavor. I added about 3 tablespoons to mine, which resulted in a wonderfully tangy and fruity flavor.