Grill and Smokers

Reaction score
spring has sprung or so I hope any way :) I do a lot of smoking and thought I would start a thread dedicated to both,please post some pictures of what you have been Grilling or Smoking and share your favorite recipes too

this is my latest adventure with the Smoker

Sausages,Chicken Breast and a couple of Hams or cankels as I call them lol I think the correct word would be shank I guess,they were awful small,I couldn't even lay them on there side they were so small

003.JPG
005.JPG

I finished off the Hams using a Texas Crutch,which just means wrapped in foil :)
006.JPG

Reaction score
Ooh, those look yummy. Did you cook them for Easter? I've never smoked anything in my life (other than cigarettes, back in the day), but if the circumstances were right (money for lots of meat, place for smoker, smoker itself, people to eat the stuff I smoked, haha), I'd definitely look into it. I visit another forum where a guy posted his smoker that looks somewhat like an old fashioned outhouse (unused, of course), and it's really cute. I'd definitely put wheels on that sucker and put it to use. What other things do you plan on smoking?

Reaction score
It really looks good. I will take my gas grill out and make some stuff to show and tell here :). Anyway I do not eat meat so I usually grill vegetables, mushrooms, bread and in some occasions fish. As for the smoked food I usually smoke cheese and fish. Right now my old smoker is broken so I have plans and blueprints for another one.

Reaction score
I gave both of them away Diane :) I had forgotten it was Easter weekend and I had told this guy that I had a ham smoking for him,I knew that they do a big Easter Egg hunt,so i gave him both once i figured that out :)

he fixed my drive way and cleaned up a part of my yard,using some farm equipment and wouldn't take any money,so i gave him a couple of hams,he even tried to pay for the hams,but i wouldn't take his money since he wouldn't take mine :)

I think it is Weber,one called a Kettle I think,you can use it for smoking and grilling and is about the same size as there regular kettle,I think,mine is a Barrel smoker,but it isn't a great big one,so it doesn't eat up a lot of room

and it is usually just me that eats what I have smoke,so I just freeze it in packs and it is ready to go any time,which means I usually have a freezer packed with smoked meats :)

but I need to do a lot more smoking,the freezer is pretty well empty at the moment

Reaction score
Oh man does that ham look so good. My dad smokes meat every year and we plan to get a smoker when we buy a house. I love the flavor that comes from smoking meat and the fact that it preserves the meat in such a way that you can enjoy it for weeks later.

Reaction score
do you have an outside grill now Tina ? if so the size smoker I have may fit in the same spot,it isn't that big,I assembled it in the living room and it isn't a big one at all,or even house sized either(the living room :) ), the kitchen is really small too lol

it was around 220 american dollars a couple of years ago,it is holding up fairly well,it has some rust issues,but they should be easy to fix

I may get a thicker gauged one the next time i have to buy one,this one was on the inexpensive side,other than the fire box,it is doing good

the Weber one would probably fit in a lot of places,I've never seen one up close,other than pictures,but it looked the same size as there grill,it just has a hinge on the top grate,so you can add wood or charcoal to it easily

all they do is build the coals or wood to one side and feed it thru the hinged grate

Reaction score
The ham and the pineapple looks yummy after you had grilled. How I wish I can eat this kind of food nowadays because we are avoiding meat already in our diet. But I knew how does it feels like eating this kind of food before and it is always great. Well, enjoy your grilling and smoking during this spring season and happy eating! :)

Reaction score
I just smoked these the other day I only took one picture though :) there is a chuck roast,sirloin tip roast,pork tenderloin and a ham ,i just cook a bunch at once and then freeze it

View attachment 702

OMG that looks delicious. If you overcook it on the smoker, does it end up like jerky, or burnt? I would like to try dehydrating items at some point, and perhaps try making a batch of jerky eventually.

Reaction score
well it came out burnt lol i did over cook the sirloin tip and it was a on the dry side and crunchy.but i do eat my mistakes so hopefully I won't do it again :) it was way over cooked,but it still had a good taste to it,I wouldn't share it with company,but some BBQ sauce it was edible

now the pork tenderloin came out great as did the ham,the chuck roast was over cooked too,but not as bad,it is a lot of meat Chester,but i have it in packs in the freezer to eat when I want it

it is time for a Turkey in a couple of weeks and some sausages and more pork tenderloin,I',ve all ready ate half of it and gave some away,so it is time for some more :)

oh when the temperature slowed down on smoking the beef,I should have wrapped it in foil and then finished cooking it,when your smoking something sometimes it will hit a wall on the temp,usually around 140 degrees Fahrenheit,

,that is when I should have wrapped it in foil and finished cooking it to 165 degrees ,it is called a Texas crutch,as to why it is called that,i have no idea lol but that would have solved it being to dry and burnt

and please post some pictures of what ya'll have smoked or grilled,it is that time of year :)

Reaction score
oooh and side dishes too

010.JPG

actually I've been messing with the new stove lol but it will go good with the left overs :)

Ask a Question