Half-sphere mold issue

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've recently got my half-sphere mold, and jumped on creating mousse cakes, but whenever I make something, I seem to have the same problem - my half sphere is hollowed out, and doesn't look to good - the picture attached. I understand it's because of the pressure from the bottom, but not sure what could I do about it? Any suggestions? Whenever I look any video about others making half-sphere mousse cakes, no one seems to have similar issue, their cakes on the videos come out just perfect.
Untitled-1.jpg

Reaction score
Is it a silicone mould? I have a couple of these, though not the domed ones, and have to kind of 'hang' them to set, so it's a case of finding something like the ring of a cake tin that it will sit in, or a bowl or a glass, depending on the size. They should really sell them with something as it's a pain rifling through cupboards trying to find something that will fit.

Reaction score
Yeah, thank you Emmie, I was thinking the same. Probably, I am additionally having molds of very bad quality, not able to support the mousse at all. Regards!

Reaction score
Yeah, thank you Emmie, I was thinking the same. Probably, I am additionally having molds of very bad quality, not able to support the mousse at all. Regards!
Cheap molds, my half sphere molds are stainless.
No idea what they cost, they're almost 40 yrs old now.

Reaction score
Hi Natalija! I’m assuming you are freezing the filled molds with the domed part resting on a tray or something, and the weight of the filling is causing the mold to collapse onto itself. I’ve used silicone molds often to mold mousse cakes etc. so I’ve definitely encountered this issue! What I do is: after filling all my molds, I place a sheet of parchment down over the exposed part. I’ll wait a bit for my mousse to set so I don’t have any issues with leaking, and then I very swiftly FLIP the molds over so the exposed part is resting on the parchment, and set that on a nice level tray. You may notice after flipping that some of the domes are indented! Just use your hand to pop them back into the dome they’re meant to be:) then freeze like this, with the dome side up! I love the silicon molds. But definitely remember having this same issue you’re having and being quite frustrated!

Reaction score
Hi Natalija! I’m assuming you are freezing the filled molds with the domed part resting on a tray or something, and the weight of the filling is causing the mold to collapse onto itself. I’ve used silicone molds often to mold mousse cakes etc. so I’ve definitely encountered this issue! What I do is: after filling all my molds, I place a sheet of parchment down over the exposed part. I’ll wait a bit for my mousse to set so I don’t have any issues with leaking, and then I very swiftly FLIP the molds over so the exposed part is resting on the parchment, and set that on a nice level tray. You may notice after flipping that some of the domes are indented! Just use your hand to pop them back into the dome they’re meant to be:) then freeze like this, with the dome side up! I love the silicon molds. But definitely remember having this same issue you’re having and being quite frustrated!
Ha, thank you Cremefraiche, that's definitely the kind of answer I was looking for - experienced one :). Wow, now I am again enthusiastic about next batch of half-sphere cakes :D

Ask a Question