Halloween cake

Reaction score
I one made a graveyard, kids' decoration cake. I admit the surface of the cake wasn't my idea, but from Good Housekeeping, but the inner-workings was all me. What I did was get plastic toy coffins (you can buy them online, often filled with sweet tarts or the like). When I mixed up the batter (chocolate), I inserted a coffin in each one. I was concerned they might melt in the oven, but they didn't. After it cools, decorate the top. I used green frosting for grass in spots, crumbled Oreos for exposed dirt. Half a Milano can be used for headstones. I used icing to "rope off" each grave, to insure that everyone got a coffin "grave". It was great fun to make (and eat). Let me know what you think.

Reaction score
That does sound like fun. My family isn't into the death and spooks thing though, so we would probably want to do something with pumpkins and leaves and just seasonal decorations.

Reaction score
It wouldn't necessarily have to be coffins, or even a Halloween theme. I think it would be a really cool idea as a treasure hunt-theme too. Kids at a birthday party could dig in and get their treasure chest with little rewards inside, or a number that coincided with a prize. I have never heard of anyone embedding prizes inside cakes (unless you count the cliché of a file). It might be worth trying.

Ask a Question