Spooky Halloween Baking

Reaction score
What are your ideas for spooky themed Halloween Baking this year. I was watching a baking show last night and one of the contestants made a chocolate cake grave yard with candy decorations and topped it off with stringy marshmallow cobwebs. It was a neat idea.

Reaction score
This is my favorite time of the year to be honest :) I have a whole Pinterest board completely dedicated to it, here are some ideas I really liked:

f047603cafcf4303f0b6b15354075e9d.jpg

Ok, this one is not baked, but I think it's adorable!

1e734653dab4146a43bb8568e99a65fa.jpg

Ok, this is not even food at all, but I fell in love with this decoration and I might definitely try something similar next year!

96fc8e759ef2c3e66ceb904fe44b317b.jpg

Reaction score
Love that Gingerbread Halloween House, @Trellum! A nice change from the usual Christmas themed Gingerbread houses. I can't believe I hadn't even thought of mixing things up and making a gingerbread house for an occasion other than Christmas before!

Reaction score
What better time to make a house out of candy? That is so cute. Is it something the kids can actually eat at the party or is it just for decoration?

I don't go all out for Halloween, but it is a cute idea.

Reaction score
The gingerbread house is absolutely adorable! I want to make one so bad, but I do not have the patience to make the bread and then construct it into something amazing like that. I am not all that talented when it come to decorating food and pastries! My artistic skills are more reserved for things like quilting and drawing. One of these days I would love to take a pastry or cake decorating class...but there is just not enough hours in the day right now!

Reaction score
When I worked in a grocery store bakery, oh so many years ago....we made gingerbread houses for every holiday.....
Christmas Gingerbread Houses
Haunted Houses (Halloween GB Houses)
Love Shacks (Valentine GB Houses)
I think we even made some for Thanksgiving too.

I think the Haunted Houses outsold the Christmas ones, as we always had tons of Christmas ones left over.

I live in a tiny apartment with a tiny kitchen, so I dont have room to do my really fancy stuff.....but here's some stuff I've done for Halloween......

A Grave Cake
(sorry the photo is crappy)
Grave Cake b.jpg

A Pumpkin Cake
Pumpkin Cake 1.jpg

Pumpkin Face 3D Cookies
Halloween cookie 2012_2.jpg

Reaction score
I really like the swirly pumpkin one too, but how do you make a 3D round cake like that. I imagine that you would haveto bake layer cakes and then sculpt them right? This would probablybe easy to do if you were going to wrap fondant around the cake to hold it all together.

Reaction score
I really like the swirly pumpkin one too, but how do you make a 3D round cake like that. I imagine that you would haveto bake layer cakes and then sculpt them right? This would probablybe easy to do if you were going to wrap fondant around the cake to hold it all together.

Well, I used to sculpt cake instead of using fondants and mounds of frosting......

But in this case, I have two stainless steel (almost perfectly) round mixing bowls.
I put a metal spike (very large nail wrapped in tin foil) in the middle of the cake, so it gets heat through the center and doesn't come out raw in the middle and burnt on the edges.

I slice off the flat side of the cakes, so both sides are even, put a little filling in the middle, put them together and frost it in orange colored buttercream.

For this cake, it was spice cake with pumpkin pie frosting.

Ask a Question