Memories of Halloween Past

Reaction score
Finally, we have a touch of Fall here in New England. The color on the trees is starting to show. We've had a few brisk nights, almost touching the freezing mark. With Halloween just ten days away, memories of past celebrations floating in the back of my mind come forward.

As children, my sister, brother, and I would scrounge the closets and wrack our brains to figure out what we would be. I somehow always ended up being a hobo. It was not in the budget to buy things like princess dresses, nor were my talents great enough to accomplish such a thing.

During the college years, the memories are different. Trick or treating with a mug to various fraternities usually landed us in some sort of trouble.

Living in small-town America, the Fire Department put on a Halloween party for the children of their members. My husband was a volunteer so we would go yearly. One year we found an audacious blow-up thing that was worn on the head of our oldest child. She was a happy child to standout among the crowd but won no prize. The following year, the costume was handed down to child #2. He won first prize with it. Child #1 was furious.

As young married adults we attended parties of a different kind. The intention was to go and not be recognizable. We accomplished that one year as the husband dressed in army fatigues and I as a mummy – wrapped in layers of torn sheets and gauze. The best part of that gathering was that their near-adult son was incredulous that he could not recognize who was under all that makeup. Mission accomplished.

Not being particularly talented in crafts, I do put in an effort to make the home welcoming to the neighborhood children on Trick or Treat night. Having a reputation for handing out full-sized candy bars has not hurt that. And depending on time and finances, I try to decorate for just the one evening. In the past I have taken days to choose patterns for the carving of pumpkins, always trying for three completely different designs. I also purchase white lunch bags and put a black cutout of either a witch, hissing cat, or a bat on the bag. I weigh it down with sand and place a battery operated tea light in it. I use these to line the walk up to the front door. At the door, the children are greeted with a gruesome witch that cackles – motion activated. She floats just away from the front door and has startled more than one accompanying adult. Fun stuff!!

Of late, we gay divorcees and widows gather at my house. We share a meal and take turns answering the door to pass out treats. We attempt to play cards in between the ringing of the doorbell. It does not always allow us to keep track of who's play it is, but we have fun, eat chocolate, and have a good meal.

October is also the time I start baking for the holidays. I have fruitcakes that I make by the dozen as gifts for friends and family. Fortunately, it is a good recipe. It was brought over on the boat from England when my Mom immigrated. It is a two-day affair and as I make so many, you never know when the kitchen will be filled with their aroma. A favorite memory I have of Halloween is that of one day of Trick or Treat. I was taking fruitcakes out of the oven and passing out candy. As two young men left the door, I overheard one say to the other “Boy. That house sure smelled awesome.”

Reaction score
I loved reading this. Twice, as it happened. Here in central Florida we're finally having our first week of "cooler" weather so I opened the windows and turned the A/C off. It is supposed to be nicely cool tonight, which might mean a blankie and a warm tabby cat stretched out on me. I do miss fall foliage, though, having grown up in Pennsylvania.

Reaction score
My sister lives in Leesburg. She walks every morning in the dark. She does a three-mile loop on most days and has frequently mentioned the heat and humidity. I tried to retire down there. House shopped on May and the temps were above 100 all week (2009). I decided to stay here in New England and visit her for the winter.
I long for a tabby cat as I lost both my dog and my cat last fall. I envy you that.

Reaction score
The years I lived in Virginia, Houston, and Southern California I purchased tons of candy every Halloween. Much to my disappointment few if any children came trick-or-treating. Some of my friends with young children explained parents prefer to throw Halloween parties instead of taking the children trick or treating. But every year I was hopeful the kids would come around in their little costumes. So I purchased candy every year.

In Southern California the big mega churches do a trunk or treat. The congregation fills up the parking lot at dusk. Parents open their trunks and pull out bags of candy. The children walk car to car trick-or-treating. Kinda bizarre.

My ex husband’s coworkers loved that I sent all the candy to work with him after Halloween.

Reaction score
I do not have that problem. I moved to a modular home park once the farmhouse got too big to handle. Parents drop their kids at the entrance of the park and come back after a couple of hours to pick them up. I plan for 120 little beggars and still give out the full-size bars. I have run out of candy only once. But usually, I hauled the leftovers into work and the guards were always happy to see me with my bag of treats. I worked in a correctional facility.

Reaction score
I do not have that problem. I moved to a modular home park once the farmhouse got too big to handle. Parents drop their kids at the entrance of the park and come back after a couple of hours to pick them up. I plan for 120 little beggars and still give out the full-size bars. I have run out of candy only once. But usually, I hauled the leftovers into work and the guards were always happy to see me with my bag of treats. I worked in a correctional facility.

Full size bars—I bet the kids run toward your house first!!

Where I live now there’s never any trick-or-treaters either because the area is agriculture land and the place isn’t visible or accessible from the main road.

But in town the kids still trick or treat.

Ask a Question