Have grandma's recipes changed much?

Reaction score
I love seeing how recipes and commonly used ingredients change based on when they were popular. You see this a lot with home cooking, but how much do you guys see it with baking? Any significant differences between your grandmother's recipe and yours? I'm fairly new and we don't have any family recipes, so I'm out of the loop. Oh and bonus: Share your favorite grandma's recipe!

Reaction score
Grandma knows best! :) I have my grandmother's old recipe book and I follow it exactly whenever I use it. She has some really terrific recipes! Some of them however, are extremely old. Some recipes call for ingredients I have never even heard of! Those recipes are ones I usually just skip over.
One recipe that she used to make a lot was orange jello salad. I thought it sounded gross. I decided to make it just for fun when my grandfather said he missed having it.
Here's the recipe:
Mandarin Orange Salad
Ingredients:
8 ounces cool whip free
24 ounces low fat cottage cheese
20 ounces crushed pineapple, drained
2 (11 ounce) cans mandarian oranges, drained
2 (5/8 ounce) boxes sugar-free gelatin
1/4 cup grated cheese
Directions:
1. In a large bowl mix jello and cottage cheese.
2. Add pineapple and oranges to jello mix. (Make sure they are drained first!)
3. Fold in the cool whip.
4. Refrigerate for 10 to 15 minutes and serve cold.
5. Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
I was really unsure of the grated cheese on top, but it really added an extra flavor.

Ask a Question