Have you ever used Pineapples in place of Oil?

Reaction score
zucchini-bread11.jpg

Hello everyone, Tim here, I have a question. Has anyone ever used pineapples in place of oil for baking? My grandmother used to use it in her zucchini bread. It was really good oddly enough. I would have never known you could do that had it not been for her. Can anyone really tell me why it works? Never question Granny! lol. :)

Reaction score
Hi Tim, and welcome to the forum. I just happened to be here and decided to respond and say right off "I've never tried it". I am still a new to baker especially when it comes to cakes from scratch. That said, I decided to look it up and sure enough granny was probably well ahead of her time:).
I found pineapple right there with a list of other substitutes. I am happy to find anything to replace the oil. It's not my favourite thing.

Reaction score
I've never even thought to go as far as pineapple in baking, though it sounds lovely just like zucchini and other breads. It also looks like it could be used a wide range of dishes, not even limited to baking, deserts, or general mixed fruit cups..

Reaction score
I agree there are too many people out there who have a "set" mind on cooking one thing, one way, all the time. Think outside the box sometimes and try new things. It is always fun to take a classic and put your spin on it.

Reaction score
Pineapples! Huh. I've used banana and apple sauce, but somehow I never thought of pineapple as a substitute for oil -- it just does not seem or feel oily, I guess. Would be happy to try it, though. I guess canned works too?

Reaction score
To be honest this is the first time I hear about it :p I had no idea you could actually replace oil with pineapples, Tim. Totally new thing for me, but I had hear you can replace oil with apple sauce ;)

Reaction score
Oil for Applesauce? I will definitely have to give that a try. I posted on another thread, the crushed pineapples seem to make the breads more soft and fluffy, not to mention healthier. :) I wonder if the applesauce is much the same in that aspect? Thanks for the tidbit!

Reaction score
Hmmm. Learn something new everyday. I've never tried that, and I'm thinking to see if I've ever heard of it before. I know I will be googleing it later though.

Reaction score
I'm new to Gluten free baking and boy am I anxious to try both applesauce and pineapple to replace the oil. I discovered some recipes using coconut flour and made a lemon pound cake (sort of) recipe that came to be outstanding. Most of the coconut flour recipes use a LOT of eggs, tho.
I'm going to have a ball trying all the recipes my friends gave me, the GF cookbook my daughter gave me, and all the recipes I found on the internet.
hopefully, I'll be able to gain some weight. I'm pretty skeletal right now and the Dr. says if I'm a good girl with the GF, I'll be a normal weight in maybe a year...
cross your fingers....

Reaction score
Hello There, :)

you need to gain some weight you say? you need a new recipe?

Try My EASY Fudge! it is an oldie but a goodie!

Tim's Easy Fudge

2 cups sugar

1 cup of condensed canned milk

1/2 cup of oleo. ( or one stick ) bring that to a boil for about 10 minutes, then take it off the stove then add

1 cup chocolate chips ( your favorite kind )

1 cup walnuts ( if desired )

1 cup flour

1 teaspoon of vanilla or vanilla extract

finally, 3/4 cup crushed up graham crackers, mix together & Let set for a few hours and enjoy! :)

Reaction score
I've never heard of doing this either. I don't know how it works but it does sound like it would add the moisture you need. I would keep in mind that pineapple is very high in sugar, so it will dramatically sweeten whatever you put it in. Does your recipe also call for decreasing the sugar when you use pineapple?

Reaction score
Sorry I did not specify. My grandmother never did but since she passed on and I have been using her cookbook I have noticed where I could decrease the sugar because you are right they are sweeter. I usually decrease the sugar by 1/4 or 1/2 ( if it a large batch of whatever. ) I just prefer to use pineapples because using oil makes everything so much more fatty and unhealthy even though there are some brands out there who claim they are good.

The pineapples seem to make everything I use them in way more fluffy. For example; you know how some recipes can be moistened with made more fluffy with an egg. Same is true of the pineapples.

Try making a batch of your favorite cookies, cakes or certain breads and see how much of an amazing difference it really makes. Not to mention you just made your cholesterol level :).

Reaction score
I have never ever heard of this let alone try it. I will give it a go and let you know. You never know what can do wonders

Reaction score
I do not like pineapple in any cooked or baked product so I have never tried this before. I think you would get similar results as you would using apple sauce in the place of oil.

Reaction score
This is quite new to me and it is the first time I've heard that pineapples can be used as a replacement to oil in baking. Hmm...sounds interesting and this is an additional source of learning something new when it comes to baking. Maybe I will give this a try to experiment. Thanks for sharing. :)

Reaction score
I believe applesauce would work just as well seeing as you do not like pineapples in any manor. It was one of my grandmothers secret ingredients that you would never guess. I was shocked when she showed me how to make Zucchini bread. Next time I make it I will try using applesauce to see if that also works.

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Reaction score
You have to love grandma's secret ingredients as they are always shocking and things that you would never think to try. They were so innovative with what they had to work with back in earlier times. Today, many of us would never think to add applesauce or pineapple to our baked goods to get them to be more moist unless someone told us to do it.

Reaction score
I have been doing a lot of cooking lately and tried the applesauce method today while baking a banana bread. It turned out just like the crushed pineapple method, with the bread being light and fluffy. I would have never thought to try applesauce but it works like a dream.:)

Ask a Question