Heavy dough/Bread

Reaction score
yo what up, I have another problem... my dough came out heavy, and wouldnt rise until i put it in the warmed up oven to proof. and that was on the second proof, the first proof just did`nt happen. the dough proofed enough to bake, and the rolls i made out of the same dough baked very nicely. but the loaf was under done and heavy, and the rolls were just heavy.... help??

honey loaves:
1 tsp yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 cup of warm milk
3 1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup of flour
1 tsp of salt
half of a stick of butter

Reaction score
what would i need to do make bread like the japanese milk bread where when you squish it it springs back up??

Reaction score
what would i need to do make bread like the japanese milk bread where when you squish it it springs back up??

This bread we called Hokkaido milk bread.

To get this high rise and soft texture some of the flour is cooked to trigger starch gelatinization in the dough when it is first mixed. It’s actually a Chinese method and it’s called tangzhong.

But it is also a method that is used in Northern Europe.

To create layers and extra height, the dough is rolled into cylinders for the final proofing.

There’s a lot of home recipes out there but the original home version one was developed by an Australian baker named Christine (link below).

Everyone’s recipe on the internet is a remake of Christine’s. Few bakers give her credit for it, but she’s the original recipe developer.

https://en.christinesrecipes.com/2010/10/hokkaido-milk-toast-japanese-style.html?m=1

Even my version of Hokkaido milk bread is based on Christine‘s recipe
FB8FF1E9-FFDA-467B-B4F2-E108B4AB2406.jpeg

Reaction score
soooo...... its a japanese bread, with the technique being from china, and the whole recipe was created by an Australian.... lol wow jk but

but what about my original question? how to avoid a heavy dough?

Reaction score
soooo...... its a japanese bread, with the technique being from china, and the whole recipe was created by an Australian.... lol wow jk but

but what about my original question? how to avoid a heavy dough?

1. If you’re going to bake on a regular basis I would recommend you purchase a food scale; bake by metric weight.

Baking by volume is the most inaccurate and inconsistent approach to baking.

2. Use the tangzhong. It really works wonders. As I mentioned it’s used in Northern Europe as well. It’s not just for use in Hokkaido bread. This technique has been used for a couple of centuries.

3. Use active dry yeast, not instant yeast

4. Perform window test to make sure you developed enough gluten.

Enriched doughs contain sugar and fat.

Instant yeast and active dry yeast are different strains. Instant yeast reproduce at faster rate

Yeast feeds on sugar. Milk also contains sugars.

The added sugars increases yeast reproduction. Over productions of yeast depletes food sources in the dough. The yeast then begins to die off. This results in a low rise. So you end up with a heavy dense dough.

The fat in the milk and the butter also inhibits yeast development. Contributing to a heavy dense dough.

This is why it’s important to have the right ratio of ingredients as welL

make sure you give the dough plenty of time to rise. Enriched doughs can take longer to prove because of the sugar and fat content.

Christine Ho is Chinese. She was born and raised in Hong Kong. She’s just lived in Australia for 20+ yrs.

Reaction score
yo what up, I have another problem... my dough came out heavy, and wouldnt rise until i put it in the warmed up oven to proof. and that was on the second proof, the first proof just did`nt happen. the dough proofed enough to bake, and the rolls i made out of the same dough baked very nicely. but the loaf was under done and heavy, and the rolls were just heavy.... help??

honey loaves:
1 tsp yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 cup of warm milk
3 1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup of flour
1 tsp of salt
half of a stick of butter

wow that recipe is way off, nowhere near enough fluid to flour.
It couldn't proof because it was too hard to lift the dough.
I'd say its missing more than half the milk.

Ask a Question