Help with M&S copycat failure

Reaction score
Hi!
I've been searching for ages for a recipe to imitate M&S's choc chunk cookies. (M&S = Marks and Spencer's. UK department store. Their cookies are a classic that has been there for generations). While I couldn't find any, I experimented with other recipes — to no avail. However, I finally found one that seemed to be perfect. At least the photos looked just what I wanted. I followed the recipe to the T, and… absolute failure 😅
Please, please, please, can anyone help me out?

Photo 1 (cookies_1.jpg) is the original. Photo 2 (cookies_2.jpg) is my cookie.

Main differences:
1. The original is white-ish, mine comes out rather dark-brown
2. The cracks on the surface — I know many people see it as a negative, but they're a feature of the original M&S cookie
3. The size and height. It seems that the original spreads less, and therefore is "taller", which means more dense and chewy. Mine spread a lot, so they're flatter, less dense, less chewy
(4. I don't think this affected the overall outcome, but I clearly used the wrong type of chocolate for the chunks. It melted and spreaded all over the place)

Down below is the recipe, including the link to the source.
Just in case, I repeat — I followed the recipe to the T. Quantities, times, methods, temperatures…
If anyone has any ideas of how to get these right, I won't know how to thank you 🤩

M&S WHITE 🍪 CHOC CHIP COOKIE DUPES

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...HswDhT51GJfzw6kaws6hW1E3l&id=1195890343785753

The closest thing you’ll get to the real deal from your own kitchen! 😊 You can’t beat a good cookie recipe and I think I’ve finally cracked it with this one. In my opinion, the perfect kind of cookie - crunchy on the outside, gooey & chewy in the middle. 🤤 There are a few key steps in this recipe to follow to make the best version 👌🏻 I used my @kenwood_ireland K mix to whip these beauties up. Enjoy 🤍

MAKES 12 - 14 large cookies

280g plain flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp cornflour
1 flat tsp bicarbonate soda
200g light brown sugar
100g caster sugar
1 medium egg
200g butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
250g white chocolate (I used Lindt vanilla here and chopped into very large chunks. Big chunks are key!)
  1. Combine the flour, salt, cornflour & bicarbonate soda in a mixing bowl. I whisk it to make sure it’s all mixed well.
  2. Melt the butter in the microwave in a Pyrex dish. Add the sugar to the melted butter and whisk. Add the vanilla and egg and whisk again.
  3. Mix into the dry ingredients. If the dough is warm let it cool slightly, then add the chocolate chunks.
  4. Scoop in to large ice cream scoop sized balls (impt) and place on a cling film lined plate. Cover & Let chill in the fridge for 1 - 2 hours, with 2 hours being the most preferable if you have time.
  5. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius fan.
  6. Pop the chilled dough balls to a baking paper lined tray. Allow for a lot of space in between these as they spread a lot, I normally bake 4 at a time.
  7. Bake for approx 10-12 minutes, banging the air out half way through cooking on a hard surface. (10 mins will be gooey, 12 will be more set)
  8. Let cool & enjoy.

Attachments

• cookies_1.jpg
    cookies_1.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 12
  • cookies_2.jpg
    cookies_2.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
they don't use butter and they probably don't use brown sugar.
they don't use corn starch and they don't use lindt or vanilla extract.
its made as cheap as possible.

Ask a Question