Hi Baking Friends!

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new to the forum :)

I've baked on and off for the last 10 years, but really got into it this past year as a primary way of stress relief. And man, is it relaxing (to bake and to share baked goods).

I bake a little bit of everything, mostly inspired by nostalgic flavors of Taiwan, where I grew up. My current baking obsession is pineapple cakes (piglet pineapple cake in celebration of the year of the pig in my avatar :)

Very excited to have found this forum, I hope to be able to share with and learn from you all amazing bakers!

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new to the forum :)

I've baked on and off for the last 10 years, but really got into it this past year as a primary way of stress relief. And man, is it relaxing (to bake and to share baked goods).

I bake a little bit of everything, mostly inspired by nostalgic flavors of Taiwan, where I grew up. My current baking obsession is pineapple cakes (piglet pineapple cake in celebration of the year of the pig in my avatar :)

Very excited to have found this forum, I hope to be able to share with and learn from you all amazing bakers!

Welcome. What type of pineapple cake? The pineapple cake from my childhood was an upside down cake. It would be nice to see some new variations on pineapple cake.

Year of the Pig. This is my year.

Reaction score
Hi Norcalbaker, thanks for the welcome! The "pineapple cake" from my childhood is gooey, tart pineapple filling (cooked down with molasses) encased in a shortcrust pastry :) We swap out pineapples for raspberries, strawberries, really anything that sounds good.

They're typically a rectangular block, which also earned these treats the nickname "golden brick" because of the golden color of the baked pastry.

I've just recently started making them in other shapes like cartoon characters to use in gifts and it's been a lot of fun!

Reaction score
Hi Norcalbaker, thanks for the welcome! The "pineapple cake" from my childhood is gooey, tart pineapple filling (cooked down with molasses) encased in a shortcrust pastry :) We swap out pineapples for raspberries, strawberries, really anything that sounds good.

They're typically a rectangular block, which also earned these treats the nickname "golden brick" because of the golden color of the baked pastry.

I've just recently started making them in other shapes like cartoon characters to use in gifts and it's been a lot of fun!

Those sound really delicious. would love to see photos of your cartoon character cakes. That does sound like a fun cake to make. And what a nice gift to give to friends.

Is it like a moon cake? I live northern California; we have two very large Chinatowns, one in San Francisco and the other across the bay in Oakland where we can buy good mooncakes. So mooncakes are very popular here, especially during the Mid-Autumn Festival in September.

I’m Japanese American. We don’t have a lot of traditional sweets in Japanese cuisine. I make daifuku (mochi filled with sweet azuki bean paste) now and then. I have to be careful not to make them too often because they are my favorite and I will eat them all in a day. Then I won’t just be one born in the year of the pig, but morph into the pig:D

Ask a Question