Home Made Subsitute for Boxed Pound Cake Mix + Recipe

Reaction score
I have a recipe called Ooey Gooey Pound Cake. It calls for a 1 lb box of pound cake mix and while it's not a problem to go out and buy it with a little bit of notice, I can never really make the cake on the fly because I generally don't keep boxed mixes in the cupboard.

Does anyone have a good recipe for just the dry ingredients (like what you would find in a boxed mix without the stabilizers) that has the right proportion of flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder? I've looked at "made from scratch" recipes and they all tend to have about 3 cups of sugar (and as many as 5!!) and that just seems excessive.

Thanks for any help you can give me! And here's the original recipe if anyone is interested:

Ingredients

• 1 16 oz box Dromedary Pound Cake Mix
• 4 eggs
• 1 stick of butter, room temperature
• 16 oz confectioner’s sugar, divided
• 8 oz cream cheese
• 1 t vanilla

Directions

Cream the butter, add 2 eggs and mix, and then add the cake mix. Blend thoroughly and spread into a greased 9x13 pan. Mix the remaining ingredients (saving ½ c of sugar for topping) and pour the “cream cheese batter” over the “pound cake batter” and marbleize the two together slightly. Sprinkle with remaining confectioner’s sugar. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 325 degrees
in a glass container or at 350 in a metal container. Cool completely and cut with a thin knife.

**Some have said this is very very sweet so consider reducing sugar a bit.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

I've just had a quick Google for the ingredients of that cake mix and this is what I found:

Sugar, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Enriched Malted Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Salt, Nonfat Milk, Wheat Starch, Propylene Glycol Mono and Diesters of Fat, Mono and Diglycerides, Lecithin, Artificial Flavor, Turmeric (Color).
https://www.instacart.com/marianos/products/69071-dromedary-pound-cake-easy-one-step-mix-16-oz

According to the nutritional info this is the rough breakdown:

Fat: 10%
Sugar: 39%
Other carbs: 30%
Protein: 4%
Salt: 0.35%

And I presume the rest is the additives. There doesn't appear to be any raising agents as far as I can tell.

Flour is roughly 10% protein and 75% carbs, butter is 80% fat, so extrapolating those (and assuming the box is 16oz) gives us 2oz butter, 6.4oz sugar, 6.4oz flour, and a small pinch of salt. That doesn't get us to the 16oz, so if you want to increase them proportionally so that the total is 16oz it would be 2.2oz butter, 6.9oz sugar, 6.9oz flour.

This isn't something I've tried myself, but it's the methodology I would use. Hope it's helpful!

Ask a Question