Honey Apple Pie with Rich Pastry Crust

Reaction score
My sister originally found this recipe in Better Homes and Gardens magazine, and it's quickly become our favorite apple pie recipe. Be warned, the crust contains a lot of butter. (You could use some other shortening, but why would you want to?

http://www.sailcharbonneau.com/recipies/honeyapplepie.htm

Recipe From : Better Homes and Gardens (from Salem Cross Inn, West Brookfield, MA)

Ingredients:
1/3 cup honey
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
dash salt
2 Tbsp. margarine or butter, melted
6 to 8 medium cooking apples, such as Rome Beauty, Granny Smith, Jonathan, or Winesap, peeled and sliced (7 1/2 cups)
1 recipe Rich Pastry for Double-Crust Pie (see notes below)
1 beaten egg
1 Tbsp. coarse sugar

Rich Pastry for Double-Crust Pie:
In a medium mixing bowl stir together 2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder. Cut in 3/4 cup shortening till pieces are the size of small peas. In a glass measure combine 1 beaten egg, 1 teaspoon vinegar, and enough water to make 1/3 cup liquid. Add liquid to flour mixture. (If necessary, add more water, 1 teaspoon at a time, till dough clings together). Divide in half. Form each half into a ball.

On a lightly floured surface, flatten each ball of dough with your hands. Using a rolling pin, roll each ball of dough from the center to the edge, forming 2 circles, each about 12 inches in diameter.

Directions:
For filling, in a large mixing bowl combine honey, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt. Stir in melted margarine. Stir in apples.

Wrap 1 circle of pastry around a rolling pin. Unroll onto 9-inch pie plate. Ease into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate. Cut decorative shapes from trimmings. If desired, make decorative cutouts in remaining dough circle for top crust. Cover with plastic wrap.

Fill pastry-lines pie plate with apple filling. Place top crust on pie. Turn edge under the pastry, flute as desired. If not using cutouts, cut slits in top crust for steam to escape.

In a small bowl combine beaten egg and 1 tablespoon water. Brush pastry with egg mixture; add decorative shapes. Brush with egg; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cover edge with foil to prevent overbrowning.

Bake in a 350- degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil. Bake about 30 minutes more or till pastry is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool pie on a wire rack.

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing the recipe. That looks really good. I've never made homemade pie crust before. I usually buy prepared pie crust. But this crust looks like it would be worth the extra effort.

Reaction score
How decadent and delicious. A rich crust and a filling with honey. I wonder how it compares to traditional apple pie? Does the honey make it extra sweet or does it depend on the type of apples used.

Reaction score
Yum is right!! Im with you ACSAPA - I usually buy my pie crusts. I've made them in the past but I just don't have the patience for it!
Not to mention the arm strength to roll out the dough!!! LOL
Maybe I would like this apple pie filling - I like apples but for some reason I am not a big fan of apple pie!
Could just be the Costco apple pie - the apple slices are so big you feel like you are eating a whole apple with each bite!! :0

Reaction score
This looks like a good recipe. I live making homemade apple pie and I like this recipe. Thabks for sharing this. I think I will try this out for Christmas if my sister will let me.

Reaction score
Yumyumyum! My favorite fruit plus my favorite sweetener? I think I just found heaven. My dad is going to go crazy for this as well, he's a huge honey advocate. Thanks so much for posting this!

Reaction score
That recipe sounds really yummy and I love anything with apple in it. I always make my own pie crust because the prepared ones just don't have the same flaky texture as the ones you make at home. Plus I hate having to wait for the prepared ones to get to room temperature.

Reaction score
I'm not an apple pie person but this sounds really delicious! The additive of honey in the crust just makes it even sound tastier. I just may make one when it gets closer to Thanksgiving.

Reaction score
This apple pie recipe sounds delightful! I will definitely try to bake this when I have the time and the ingredients. Maybe I should add vanilla ice cream or whipped cream as a topping, as well!

Reaction score
From what I've picked up from culinary science, shortening, just as it says, makes the crumbs shorter. Butter does the opposite, a "lengthening" that is, it makes a flakier crust rather than a crumbly one. I forget what substituting something like olive oil, would do. And I'm not inclined to find out--this recipe sounds wonderful!

One thing I've heard that goes great with apple pie, though, is a crust with a bit of cheese in it, to bring out the woodsiness of the apple and spices flavor, and to offset the sweetness. Grated parmasan or a sharp cheddar or even edam cheese are my favorites for that, although I've heard good things about gruyere.

Reaction score
My sister originally found this recipe in Better Homes and Gardens magazine, and it's quickly become our favorite apple pie recipe. Be warned, the crust contains a lot of butter. (You could use some other shortening, but why would you want to?

http://www.sailcharbonneau.com/recipies/honeyapplepie.htm

Recipe From : Better Homes and Gardens (from Salem Cross Inn, West Brookfield, MA)

Ingredients:
1/3 cup honey
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
dash salt
2 Tbsp. margarine or butter, melted
6 to 8 medium cooking apples, such as Rome Beauty, Granny Smith, Jonathan, or Winesap, peeled and sliced (7 1/2 cups)
1 recipe Rich Pastry for Double-Crust Pie (see notes below)
1 beaten egg
1 Tbsp. coarse sugar

Rich Pastry for Double-Crust Pie:
In a medium mixing bowl stir together 2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder. Cut in 3/4 cup shortening till pieces are the size of small peas. In a glass measure combine 1 beaten egg, 1 teaspoon vinegar, and enough water to make 1/3 cup liquid. Add liquid to flour mixture. (If necessary, add more water, 1 teaspoon at a time, till dough clings together). Divide in half. Form each half into a ball.

On a lightly floured surface, flatten each ball of dough with your hands. Using a rolling pin, roll each ball of dough from the center to the edge, forming 2 circles, each about 12 inches in diameter.

Directions:
For filling, in a large mixing bowl combine honey, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt. Stir in melted margarine. Stir in apples.

Wrap 1 circle of pastry around a rolling pin. Unroll onto 9-inch pie plate. Ease into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate. Cut decorative shapes from trimmings. If desired, make decorative cutouts in remaining dough circle for top crust. Cover with plastic wrap.

Fill pastry-lines pie plate with apple filling. Place top crust on pie. Turn edge under the pastry, flute as desired. If not using cutouts, cut slits in top crust for steam to escape.

In a small bowl combine beaten egg and 1 tablespoon water. Brush pastry with egg mixture; add decorative shapes. Brush with egg; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cover edge with foil to prevent overbrowning.

Bake in a 350- degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil. Bake about 30 minutes more or till pastry is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool pie on a wire rack.
I have the original page from BH&G from Salem Cross Inn. It's from the November 1995 issue. I still have the ripped and worn recipe. I was happy to find this site to print out a new copy. Thank you for posting it. I made it for Thanksgiving yesterday and was a hit. I had not made it in years as i try something new every year. I must have liked it then because I kept it so long. It's still a keeper.

Ask a Question