How do you feel about bread makers?

Reaction score
I've never owned a bread maker -- I love the idea in theory...fresh, baked bread whenever I want to make it, free of any preservatives or other junk that store-bought breads can be. However, I'm a little skeptical that I would actually get the use out of it. I've bought similar gadgets before that I thought I would use all the time (I guess there's a part of my brain that just likes to justify my purchases!) and they've sat in the cupboard for most of their life. I don't even know how much a bread maker retails for, I think that would be a big part of my decision to buy one as well. If it wasn't too expensive I might buy one just to try it out and then I wouldn't feel too bad if it wasn't used all that much.

See if you can find a used one to test. If you like it buy a good new one geared for your needs. I don't use mine very often, but when I do, I'm really happy I have one. Waking up to the smell of fresh baked bread is heaven and having a fresh hot loaf just ready to pull out is a great touch when company comes over.

Reaction score
I never even heard of bread makers until I came here. I figured bread makers might be associated with bakeries and not your average Joe. I have make only two breads and I don't think a bread maker was necessary. Yet I suppose there is bread and there is 'bread'. Maybe as I grow I will see the necessity for a bread maker, but not at this stage.

Reaction score
See if you can find a used one to test. If you like it buy a good new one geared for your needs. I don't use mine very often, but when I do, I'm really happy I have one. Waking up to the smell of fresh baked bread is heaven and having a fresh hot loaf just ready to pull out is a great touch when company comes over.

Such a smart idea. I'm sure a few of my friends also have them so I could always ask to borrow theirs and see if I could feasibly see myself using one. I can't believe I hadn't thought of that before - thank you for suggesting that to me.

You're right though, there's something so comforting about the smell of fresh bread, and it would be a neat thing to have when entertaining guests. A nice little appetizer before dinner or something!

Reaction score
I love my bread machine! I will definitely continue using one in the future. I just barely started experimenting with oven baking and making all the work from scratch but that's only as a hobby and mostly for the weekends when I feel like doing something different. For my daily needs I rely on my bread maker.
I think a combination of both by hand and by machine is the perfect choice for me. I'm really happy with both. And that's why I don't regret buying a bread maker (I'm at my second one now).
I hope that everyone feels the same!

Reaction score
I vote for making bread without a machine - it really isn't hard and I have come to that place in my life where I want LESS gadgets to move around in the kitchen - especially big ones! lol

I had a bread machine years ago that my MIL gave to me - I was never able to have much success with it. I suspect the recipes I tried were too large in volume for the machine as I had overflow issues - haha!

Bread was one of the very first things I tried when I moved out and started really getting into baking and cooking - I only had a bowl, wooden spoon and the oven + elbow grease!

I find it very satisfying to knead bread - makes me feel nice - connected to all those people in the past that have done exactly the same thing! And you really can't beat fresh baked bread - warm from the oven - with BUTTER! {smacking lips!}

I would never judge someone who had and enjoyed (i.e. can figure out!) a breadmaker machine but I would strongly recommend trying baking bread the old fashioned way a few times first! Another option would be to get one second hand if you can - if you ask around you could very likely find someone who has one stashed away in a closet looking for a good home!

Ask a Question