How to Fix Undercooked and Collapsed Meringues

Reaction score
I’ve tried making meringues twice and both times they’ve turned out hollow with sticky, uncooked meringue in the middle. What could I be doing wrong? I bake it at 200 degrees Fahrenheit and then turn off the oven and let them cool in the oven for 30 minutes. I have also put chocolate chunks in the meringue. What could be going wrong?

This is a link to a picture of my meringues
https://pin.it/76s7xt9

Reaction score
I’ve tried making meringues twice and both times they’ve turned out hollow with sticky, uncooked meringue in the middle. What could I be doing wrong? I bake it at 200 degrees Fahrenheit and then turn off the oven and let them cool in the oven for 30 minutes. I have also put chocolate chunks in the meringue. What could be going wrong?

This is a link to a picture of my meringues
https://pin.it/76s7xt9

you have to make sure that your egg whites are properly stabilized.

make sure you’re a quite are at least 68°F before you begin.

start at low speed and beat for approximately 30 seconds to 45 seconds to foamy stage

add an acid. I prefer cream of tartar
and any extract

then begin whipping on low and gradually increase the speed. When nearing soft peaks begin adding sugar. Two or so minutes into whipping

The sugar must be added very slowly

Reaction score
you have to make sure that your egg whites are properly stabilized.

make sure you’re a quite are at least 68°F before you begin.

start at low speed and beat for approximately 30 seconds to 45 seconds to foamy stage

add an acid. I prefer cream of tartar
and any extract

then begin whipping on low and gradually increase the speed. When nearing soft peaks begin adding sugar. Two or so minutes into whipping

The sugar must be added very slowly
Thank you for the advice, but my recipe actually calls for making a Swiss meringue, where I heat the egg whites and sugar in a double boiler and whisk until the sugar dissolves/the mixture is 160 degrees Fahrenheit (which seems rather hot to me). With this method, what could I be doing wrong?

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice, but my recipe actually calls for making a Swiss meringue, where I heat the egg whites and sugar in a double boiler and whisk until the sugar dissolves/the mixture is 160 degrees Fahrenheit (which seems rather hot to me). With this method, what could I be doing wrong?
Its already cooked, you put it in the oven and it inflates....then collapses.

Depends what you are trying to accomplish, to color the top all you need is to blowtorch it.
It will always stay soft, if you want meringue kisses then you need a different type, french meringue is dried, not baked but holds shape.

Reaction score
Add cream of tartar as a stabilizer. 1gl egg 1oz cream of tartar. Make meringue using the juice of a can of garbanzo or chickpea. Look for aquafaba vegan meringue recipes

Ask a Question